Zimmermania

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Ready to get started

Greetings:
I'm ready to launch into the world EZ. While I am an experienced sock knitter, I have not seen a sweater through to completion. Oh, I've knitted sweaters. I have all the parts for three incomplete sweaters--I just can't make myself sew them together. I'm thinking if I can make heads and tails out of the EZ's seamless method, it could be the answer to my prayers. I've read Knitting Without Tears, I'm watching Knitter's Workshop and I've purchased some wool that makes me salivate (thanks, Jared). Before I get started, I thought I would pose these questions to those of you who are disciples of the seamless method: 1. Is there anything you wish you had known before you started your first EZ seamless sweater? 2. Did you have any of those "duh" moments from your first experiences about which you could forewarn a newbie? Many thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be wonderful advice!

4 Comments:

  • If you hate sewing, you are going to LOVE EZ. But you knew that already.

    I used to be a tight knitter, and the best advice I ever got from an EZ book is to knit loose. There's pretty much no such thing as too loose; you can always go down another needle size.

    By Blogger Huelo, at 7:41 AM  

  • Hi -
    Just keep your tension even. Oh!
    And my hems were a mess until I took one of my sweaters to a class with EZ's daughter, Meg.
    Meg gave great tips which are also, it turns out, in EZ's books.
    Knit the hem in a smaller size needle and change needles for the body - or start with 10% fewer stitches at the hem using the needle suggested for the body and once the hem is complete and you've done the turn row, add the stitches. Just read all the EZ tips on hems and you will get it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:26 PM  

  • the hem thing is genius. but it really depends on which sweater you want to make. i think jared's tutorial on the seamless hybrid pretty much covers what you want to know before starting knitting that one. i gave me a lot of hints. and then of course to get the gauge right so the sweater will have the right fit. it is a great idea to make large swatches i have discovered.

    By Blogger knititch, at 2:44 AM  

  • I wish I had measured the arms of my recipient more carefully. I had him bend his arm, like you would if you were measuring for a fabric project, forgetting about the elasticity of knitting compared to fabric. Measuring straight arms would have been fine. Luckily he's four and growing so monkey arms weren't a big deal, but I would have been really sad if it'd been for a grown-up. good luck--what fun!

    By Blogger Dana, at 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home