Zimmermania

Friday, June 01, 2007

Help, please, on increasing while knitting down

I've been inspired to knit a February Baby Sweater, and I'm now on my fourth beginning of it. I'm a fairly experienced knitter.

I'm using a worsted-weight cotton mercerized yarn (because the baby is allergic to wool) and discovered it was too thick for a garter stitch yoke. So I've switched to a stocking stitch yoke and am using the modifications several of you have written about.

My question is -- what's the best way to double increase when knitting down? I've read KWT and KA, and I found her instructions on pp. 112-113 of KA. I'm still confused, though.

I originally did the raglan-type double increases by the M1 forward/backward method, but when I do them side by side it leaves an ugly hole. Does there need to be an "anchor" stitch in the middle of the double increases? I don't see any in the pictures on the blogsite, but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for.

What's the best way?

Thanks for any help you can give!

4 Comments:

  • I actually like to leave 2 stitches between the M1's, makes for a nice raglan line. Another option is to knit in the front and back of 2 stitches, but I don't think it looks as nice. If you use a yo for your increase, you will get a line of eyelets, which might look good with the lace below the yoke.

    By Blogger becky c., at 5:27 PM  

  • If you can get the book "Knitting from the Top," by Barbara Walker there is a page with pictures of various types of double increases and you can pick the one you like best. This page is almost worth the purchase price of the book for me, although I still recommend swatching.

    That being said, I second the vote for yo's. I think the eyelets would would look really nice with the upcoming lace.

    -Linda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:23 PM  

  • i am not sure i understand why the wool it too thick for a garter stitch yoke. but i haven't seen it . so how about picking up the strand between the stitches it and knit through the backloop.

    By Blogger knititch, at 1:18 AM  

  • Thank you (all) for sharing this information and for asking the question in the first place!
    I really wanted to make this little sweater up but was a bit perplexed by it myself~

    I have done 3 Baby Surprise Jackets but had to think it thru the first time I knit it up myself~
    I want to make this lovely pattern up in a simple white(washable) wool
    Right now I am debating whether to attempt this one or a simple top down cardigan but this looks SO pretty~
    This little sweater has been tugging on my heartstrings for awhile begging to be knit,,,
    Happy Knitting to all,,,,

    By Blogger luv2knit, at 4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home