Zimmermania

Thursday, May 31, 2007

EZ Shorties




Pattern: Baby Leggings from Knitter's Almanac
Yarn: Patons Classic Merino in camel
Needles: US size 5 circs
Gauge: Between 5 and 5 1/5 stitches per inch
Unstretched measurements: 16" waist, 21" hip (widest part, at last increase), 20" rise. It fits my 14-month-old son perfectly (but with not a whole lot of room to grow, so it would probably fit a younger baby as well).
Mods: Increased the number of stitches set aside for the crotch to 14 front and back; 5 stitches just doesn't seem like enough for an active toddler. Also did just 7 rows of ribbing after dividing for the legs to make shorties instead of longies.

The rise is indeed long, as I've read elsewhere, but I decided to just knit the pattern as written (with the exception of the mods mentioned above) the first time just to see how it turns out. It's really not that long after blocking, and since I used merino, I know it'll shorten some with the felting from regular wear anyway, so I'll probably be thankful for the extra length down the road.

This was a fun and easy pattern, and it turned out really cute. So far I give it a thumbs up, but my little man hasn't worn it yet. I'm interested to see how it fits and behaves on a babe in action.

Kelley

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • I like these! I just finished longies using tinybird's pattern and I think I like EZ's better. And why wouldn't I???? :O) Must take my Almanac and look up the pattern. EZ is such a great designer. Hope your baby is comfy in his new shorties. :O) samm

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:25 AM  

  • I love these! Great idea.

    By Blogger Nancy from Mansfield, tx, at 11:56 AM  

  • Those shorties look great, hope they fit your baby well.

    By Blogger meyer, at 10:04 AM  

  • EZ's pattern is hands down the best for longies/shorties that I've tried. Love the shaping! For a soaker I used EZ's short rows on the punk knitters pattern, and added ribbed cuffs. Can't beat 'em!

    By Blogger Renee, at 3:38 PM  

  • they are so great. will make some for the winter. the shape is so lovely. congratulations.

    By Blogger knititch, at 10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home