Zimmermania

Monday, June 04, 2007

Ski Bonnet from Opinionated Knitter

Hello,
I was wondering if someone has knitted the ski bonnet from the opinionated knitter who can provide me with some assistance. I finished shaping the top, but am confused with the directions to sew a baste line, reinforce it on both sides and then cut the baste line. My main concern is how the stitches will not unravel once I make the cut on the baste line. I am hesitant to begin this portion of the ski bonnet, as I hope to think knitting the beginning of the hat was not all for nothing. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

3 Comments:

  • To reinforce on either side, you may hand or machine stitch with small stitches (though not tiny) through the rows on either side of the baste line. This secures them. You may also try a crocheted reinforcement, as shown here.

    http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/01/the_steeking_chronicles_part_i.html

    By Blogger RodgerPM, at 10:54 AM  

  • I don't have Opinionated Knitter yet (terrible, I know), but it sounds just like cutting a steek. You'll baste through the running bars between two knit columns so you'll be sure to cut in the right spot, then reinforce as rodgerm explained. Good luck!

    By Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter, at 7:53 PM  

  • What you need to do is make a swatch, and cut it. Then you will know what happens, and since this is only a sample, you won't have heart failure. Better yet, buy a sweater in a second-hand shop, and cut it into squares. You can always sew them together into something new! Or make a sweater into a cardigan. But just cut into knit fabric, and don't worry about it!

    By Blogger Tallguy, at 12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home