Zimmermania

Friday, August 10, 2007

Double-Knitted Baby Blanket



















I'm more than halfway through a baby blanket for my second little girl, due this October. It's from Knitter's Almanac, February, the chapter that has a bunch of different projects for a baby. I've wanted to try this double-knitted blanket for awhile, and I really love how it's turning out. I thought the double-knitting thing might be a real pain in the neck, but it's turned out to be very relaxing and soothing knitting -- perfect for TV watching and subway riding. The yarn is Knitpicks Decadence, 100% alpaca, and sooooo lovely and soft! The double-knitting makes the center wonderfully squishy, and even though the edges are roll-free garter stitch, I think I'll still add a narrow crochet border just to tidy things up a bit more. I also think I'll add the baby's initial (Z for Zoe) right in the center of the blanket on the right side, nice and large in a rose-pink, just to break up all the burgundy. What's the name for that technique, where you over-stitch each knit stitch to make it look like you did some fancy intarsia when you really didn't? Well, anyway, that's the plan. Will post again once it's complete....

6 Comments:

  • Do you mean duplicate stitch? That will look cool.

    By Blogger becky c., at 9:03 PM  

  • French darning? It's going to be fab when it's finished.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:05 AM  

  • ... no it's Swiss darn.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:10 AM  

  • It look's great...I can't wait to see it with the Z and edging

    By Blogger Zel, The Grimm Witch, at 12:51 PM  

  • Really a lovely blanket! I am knitting with the Yahoo EZ group and it is so nice to see this coming February's project! An initial in the center a la duplicate stitch will be the finishing touch! Lucky baby!

    By Blogger tina, at 1:39 PM  

  • Duplicate stitching will look wonderful! Can't wait to see the FO.

    By Blogger magnoliasntea, at 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home