Zimmermania

Monday, August 06, 2007

Mystery Blanket

Here is my (finally) finished Mystery Blanket from Knitter's Almanac. This blanket is the April project. Each square is knit from the centre out, and the live stitches are then put on a holder (I used waste yarn). The squares are then grafted together, so you end up with a seamless blanket. Another winner from EZ.

When I first bought my copy of Knitter's Almanac, I was intrigued by this blanket. The picture in the book is of a solid colour blanket (in white). But when I first saw it, I wondered what it would look like in a self-striping yarn. The yarn I used is Paton's SWS. The inner part of the squares is done in the Natural Navy colourway, and the outer part (and the border) is done in Natural Denim.

For more details, please visit my blog

I'm really happy with how it turned out. I love the colours in the yarn, I love the variation in the squares, and it's going to be a wonderful warm afghan to curl up under on chilly nights.

13 Comments:

  • Outstanding!
    When it comes to afghans I don't think of EZ; I will have to pick up the Knitters Almanac and check it out.
    How many skeins of SWS did you use?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:40 PM  

  • That is GORGEOUS! I am SWS's number one fan, those colors are so great. I do believe I'm coveting my neighbors afghan, just a little bit. :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:47 PM  

  • I'm really bad at keeping notes, but I think I used 20 skeins - 12 of the blues/beiges, and 8 of the blues. But I'm not 100% positive.

    Thanks for the nice comments!

    By Blogger Leanne, at 6:19 PM  

  • Goodness, that's lovely! I passed right by the pattern in the Almanac but incorporating the changing colors really makes a wonderful project.

    By Blogger Lauren, at 6:24 PM  

  • Fabulous!

    By Blogger Diane H, at 6:53 PM  

  • What a beautiful blanket! I've knit up a few mystery squares for inclusion in another blanket, but it's a great idea to use a self-striping yarn.

    By Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter, at 9:33 PM  

  • That looks to good. I would not have thought of using selfstriping yarn, but it works great.

    By Blogger Kucki68, at 12:34 AM  

  • WooT! That blanket is absolutely worth coveting :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:51 AM  

  • I really love the colors! What a beautiful blanket.

    By Blogger Zel, The Grimm Witch, at 5:28 AM  

  • Awesome! I've always admired this pattern, and your version is totally wonderful!

    By Blogger Mandy, at 6:02 AM  

  • It's fantastic! What a great way to have a seamless blanket.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:22 AM  

  • this is lovely and inventive.

    By Blogger knititch, at 3:37 PM  

  • I'd passed that over, but now that I've seen it in colour...I do believe that once I finish Lizard Ridge, I may make this in some Kureyon. How beautiful!

    By Blogger Eat Knit Explore Grow, at 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home