Zimmermania

Thursday, August 09, 2007

BSJ and Longies


This is my second BSJ and I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I've never made the longies before, but they were very quick and easy to whip up; I think it only took a few evenings' knitting in front of the tube. Both are Knit Picks' "swish," the BSJ is the worsted weight, in indigo heather and (the strangely named) squirrel heather. I picked up some cute celtic knot buttons at Webs to finish it off. The little leggings are in the coal-colored DK weight.

As superwash yarns go, I've never really liked them, and this one isn't really perfect, but I do like it more than others I've used. Its main flaw, in my opinion, is that the plies split pretty easily. This wasn't really troublesome in the main knitting of either garment, but it was annoying while completing the fair amount of weaving required. I was impressed that the yarn lacked that plasticky, squeaky texture that other superwash yarns can have. Always soft, I was surprised by how soft and lofty it was after (hand) washing.

I'm relieved to have this done before my upcoming wedding. I can't wait to give it to my cousin and his wife for their baby due in October. I'll probably be making another set for another cousin's baby due in January, but right now I'm really worked up to make a child's Tomten for my little flower girl (and cousin- are you noticing a pattern here?) Maybe the second baby will be a girl, an irresistible chance to make a February sweater.

5 Comments:

  • I never thought of combining these two articles as a set...brilliant idea.

    By Blogger Kathy, at 4:21 AM  

  • i have to say that longies, especially for babies, are among my fav things to knit. they are so unusual and fun--almost like a throwback to a distant world.

    the outfit is too charming. the recipient is one lucky baby.

    By Blogger the nifty needler, at 3:09 PM  

  • That is a very sweet BSJ and longies. What a cute set.

    By Blogger Sheila, at 5:22 PM  

  • I was happy to see the longies. I am finishing up a pair, and thought I was doing them wrong--however, they look just like yours. And yours are lovely!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:28 PM  

  • I, too, was concerned about the length of the waist section on the longies, but I'm figuring that it will have to stretch, and thus shorten, to accommodate a diaper. I've now convinced myself that it's all for the good.

    By Blogger eudyptula, at 7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home