Zimmermania

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Homage to EZ


Hi, everyone. I feel so lucky to have found this blog and to have been invited to be a Zimmermaniac!

I have been knitting for about eight years. I learned from a book, and EZ was one of my first tutors.

My first EZ book was Knitter's Almanac, and I quickly determined to do the whole year (it teaches one project for each month). I didn't quite get there, but I did manage to complete January: the Aran Sweater (I was terrified at the cutting, and it was only my second sweater), February: Some Babies' Things, May: Mittens for Next Winter, June's Hats, July's Shawl, October's Open-Collared Pullover, and December's Hurry-up Last Minute Sweater.

I quickly discovered that, as a beginner, I sometimes needed to cross-reference with Knitting Without Tears. And then I "graduated" to the Knitting Workshop, Knitting Around, and the Knitting Around videos.

I now combine EZ's techniques with those of Barbara Walker, the other amazing American knitter who also works in the round and who pioneered mosaics and charts. I am also a fan of EZ's daughter Meg, who runs Schoolhouse Press and actually personally answered an emailed question I had about a knitting book.

This blog has inspired me to go back to her books and surf around this blog--and try a project I haven't tried yet--0r make some more mittens!

5 Comments:

  • Your Pi shawl is very pretty - thank you for sharing!

    By Blogger becky c., at 9:23 AM  

  • wow. your pi is amazing

    By Blogger erin, at 9:15 PM  

  • Thanks! The weird colors are due to the fact that I was using up stash...I was more interested in theprocess than the product.

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at 3:04 PM  

  • amazing work....am i now to go and find out about that other knitting lady in you post? Is this going to be expensive?

    By Blogger picperfic, at 9:05 AM  

  • Huh. I posted a comment yesterday, but it isn't here. I'll try again:

    Hi, Picperfic. Barbara Walker, like EZ, is amazing. Her Four Treasuries are expensive--but I think they are worth the investment. You'll never need any other stitch pattern books--she's got cables, lace, eyelets, mosaic, other color patterns....It's ALL in the Treasuries.

    And she empowers you to design your own projects. I'd love to show you the skirt I made from her patterns--but I don't want to break any rules here with a non-EZ post. Perhaps I should put it on my blog??

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at 6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home