Zimmermania

Saturday, March 03, 2007

February Sweater

February Sweater

I 've come to the conclusion that I am in love with this sweater pattern. As I knit my last stitch I didn't want it to end. I enjoyed every bit of it. EZ definitely knew what she was doing when she came up with this one. The gull pattern was so easy to memorize, it was a breeze. The stitch pattern is so beautiful, definitey suited for a baby.
My only problem was figuring out the "4 X 7 sts at the cast-on sleeve-sts." As a result of my confusion and frustration I decided to e-mail another knit-blogger,
Kodachrome Knits, who had completed the sweater. Karen was so helpful, she e-mailed me back the next day with an in-depth pattern explanation. It's amazing, just when I thought something was wrong with me for not knowing what 4 X 7 sts meant, within a week I received several e-mails from past February Sweater knitters who gave up at that spot.

This is the jist of what she said:

The 4 X 7 sts consists of the 7 sts cast on at each side of both sleeves. Each sleeve had a total of 14 stitches cast on. (Are you still with me?) The total sts cast on for both sleeves together equals 28. 4 X 7 = 28 (At that moment, a light bulb went off.) Basically, you are picking up 7 stitches at each end of each sleeve. In other words, you are picking up 7 stitches 4 times. That's where 4 X 7 comes in. Now, why Mrs. Zimmerman couldn't say that to begin with, I don't know. Nevertheless, I still love this pattern and would difinitely knit it again.

Pattern: February Sweater from Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmerman

Yarn: Plymouth Suri Merino in shade 282 (2 3/4 balls used)

Buttons: 6 Buttons purchased at Tender Buttons (Manhattan Store)

Needles: 29" Inox Express Circular Knitting Needles US 7

Started: January 24, 2007

Finished: February 28, 2007

Recipient: Brianna

Happy Knitting!

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • hi, i'm a lurker. since i've stumbled across this blog, i've maybe become a little obsessed with this sweater. i've bought the book and earmarked some yarn for it. i have a question, though. do i absolutely, positively HAVE to use a circular needle? i hate them when i'm knitting back and forth.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:24 AM  

  • Yes use straits,I do and have no problems.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:47 AM  

  • Your sweater looks lovely!

    By Blogger Monika, at 4:42 AM  

  • Your sweater is very sweet....good job. Isn't it remarkable how quickly knitters will come to your aid when you have a question? Knitters are good people.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:45 AM  

  • I love makign this sweater, too, and am always amazed at what a quick project it is! And a great gift for those with babies... However, I've always whimped out with the buttons--I just knit blithely on, not stopping to measure or remember how to do button holes.... Your picture with the little buttons has inspired me to try this next time.

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at 8:51 AM  

  • I've loved every one of these Feb swaters that people have posted and yours is just as sweet! Lovely!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:29 AM  

  • It's beautiful, Veronica. I'm glad I could help you out. Really, I was just passing on knitting help that I'd already received from other knitters' blogs, so I was happy to share the knitting knowledge. :)

    By Blogger KODACHROME, at 10:12 PM  

  • I've been working on this same EZ sweater and stopped and stumbled at the 4 x 7 point, so I did what I always do when I am stumped, I turned to the knitter blogger community for help and there you were with the same question. Thank you and thank you to all who contributed to the explanation. I can now finish this fun project. Thanks again. Sue

    By Blogger sdimora, at 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home