Zimmermania

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Hello to all

I was so glad to find and join this blog. I have been exploring it for the past few days. Such beautiful work from all of you.

I discovered EZ quite a few years ago. Something about her methods just stick with me. Love her.

The sweater below is a very soft wool raglan I made for my middle monster Maggie a few years ago. It was the first time I tried Elizabeth Zimmerman's top-down, seamless approach. Hooked on this now.

I do not remember the yarn, but I got it at Knitting Arts in Saratoga, CA. Such a very cool store. I had my youngest Meave with me that day...she was 3, I think. And she was giving a couple of ladies in the store (a clerk and a couple of customers) fits because she was touching everything. She was fascinated by the colors, of course, but she wanted to feel how soft the yarns were, so she picked up everything and rubbed it on her face (which was clean!). If it was especially soft, she buried her face in it! I was watching her and I had explained that we had to treat the yarn with care, but I could not figure out where she learned to rub it on her face. Then, I finally noticed she was carefully following in the footsteps of an older woman who was doing the exact same thing! I finally told Meave we shouldn't do that because the clerk looked ready to have a heart attack, and Meave asked why the other lady got to do it. So, whatever I picked up, I let her feel as I hid her with my wide butt! I love it that my kids love yarn, fabric & book stores as much as I do.


I made EZ's baby sweater and a hat for my god-daughter Amy's new baby. I used the same stitch pattern in the hat which I made up out of my head. Very happy with the way it turned out. I do not think baby Jake wore it for very long...at 6 months he weighed 20 lbs! Well, Amy will have it for the next one.



I started another open-neck, top-down using EZ and had it almost done, but it was looking weird. Remember the weird sweaters Morticia Addams would knit? Well, this one took on a life of its own at some point and when I tried it on Maggie, she broke into snortin' giggles. It was obvious even to her that it would not fit ANYBODY right. So I frogged it.

I stopped frogging when I had only the shoulders and tried it on Maggie again to check shoulder width. The girls loved that! They said to leave it like that and Maggie swore she would wear it. I knit a few more twisted cables and bound off. Meave took it over, and here she models it.

I look forward to reading more from you Zimmermaniacs. I am enjoying visiting any blogs I find in the name links. I have a blog also, Taoknitter, where I keep track of my family, knitting and the Irish dance dresses I make. Happy blogging to all!

3 Comments:

  • Thanks so much for the story of your young daughter testing yarn softness against her face. I loved it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:53 AM  

  • Nothing works like the face test! You've got a sharp little daughter!

    By Blogger Huelo, at 1:12 PM  

  • She looks very sweet in that!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home