Zimmermania

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Fishtrap!



The labor is complete, my friends. I give you EZ's Fishtrap Aran Cardigan, the January pattern from Knitter's Almanac, and really the spark for the whole Zimmermania project, which has grown to such unexpected and marvelous proportions!

The yarn is ancient Brunswick Ballybrae Blainin Tweed, salvaged from a sweater-in-progress my mother-in-law abandoned 30 years ago, plus some Rowan Yorkshire Tweed DK for the edges. My own additions are the zipper, its facings, and a lining for the collar, which was otherwise a little too flimsy and curly:



I also went down a needle size for the first ten inches or so of the body, as my husband wanted a trimmer fit than most of his commercial sweaters offer. This was not the simplest of projects, and my obsessive attention to the finishing made it take longer than strictly necessary, but I'm proud of the result. And it was worth all the effort to see it on my man, even (especially?) when he got a little goofy with the modeling:



Come on over to my blog for more pictures.

I love how unusual the Fishtrap pattern is, and the ropey quality of the twisted-stitch cables - they're very nautical. What I wouldn't give to be able to pose the hubby with some lobster pots... Thanks, Elizabeth. It's a keeper.

11 Comments:

  • Nice sweater...looks great on the husband!
    What is it about an EZ sweater that turns the mild mannered hubby into a smouldering
    GQ-esque beefcake? ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:19 PM  

  • What a great job with a classic pattern! Your husband's not a bad model, either; hope he enjoys the sweater.

    By Blogger Lori, at 10:34 PM  

  • which ones the keeper.....hubby or the sweater ;)

    it looks great and your finishing really make it

    By Blogger Lothlorian, at 2:47 AM  

  • Wow! That sweater came out nice! I always wondered what it looked like in (almost) real life, as the B&W pictures in the almanac don't do it any justice.

    By Blogger edie, at 4:39 AM  

  • Positively take a bow! What an awesome job, you are an inspiration. Your husband is a great sport, keep both him and the sweater....congrats!

    By Blogger Nonna Rose, at 5:13 AM  

  • That is Just...OMG! I need to get moving on my knitting. So far I have only knit 1 seamless yoke sweater and am working on another.

    By Blogger Snarled Yarns, at 5:28 AM  

  • Nicely done, it makes the whole fishtrap design seem very modern and up to date. I think EZ would thoroughly approve of your collar treatment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:50 AM  

  • What an inspiration you are! I can't wait to start mine.

    By Blogger KnittingJones, at 7:15 AM  

  • It's fantastic! You done good.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:40 AM  

  • lovely lovely lovely and i agree that ez's designs are very macho as the many examples on this blog already has proved. want to do one myself now. so many designs so little time. argh.

    By Blogger knititch, at 9:12 AM  

  • Handsome sweater for a handsome man. Looks terrific on him!!

    By Blogger Ali P, at 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home