Zimmermania

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Hybrid Sweater Disaster


I started EZ's hybrid version sweater over a month ago. I have worked on it in between several holiday gift items. This was my first EZ project and I did enjoy it, although it did not turn out as I planned. I read advice from several fellow EZ knitters, and happily figured out how to do a contrast/inside hem for the body and the sleeves of the sweater (pictured).


I joined the sleeves and started "saddling" and then disaster struck! I had my knitting sitting on the seat of an old fashion school desk. On top of the desk I had an advent wreath. Sunday (Christmas Eve) I lit the fourth candle and went about my business. A while later, I went into the family room and found that the first candle of the four had melted low and the wax dripped off the desk top and onto my knitting!


I was unsuccessful in removing the wax (even after freezing), so now my EZ hybrid sweater project is a mound of yard and two sleeves. I haven't frogged the sleeves yet. I'm thinking I may be able to resurrect them and use on a new version of a the sweater. Time will tell!

Years ago I would have cried about this "accident" however I've matured some as a knitter and now I'm able to look at it as a learning experience since my goal is to be a master knitter.

Cross post on http://knightlyknitter.blogspot.com/

6 Comments:

  • I left this same comment in your blog. But I figured so that more people will see it and maybe use the advice here it goes again: I said:
    "Oh no! I wish you would not have frogged it before posting!. Wax is 'easy' to take off: use a cotton cloth (towel) over the waxed area, with your iron set to warm gently press. Gently the was will melt and go into the cotton and your fabric will be as good as new. You adjust the temperature of the iron as you go. If you see it is not comming off, crank it up a bit. It is easy and goes fast. Sorry too late now....or maybe for the sleeves and you can knit the body again?"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:56 PM  

  • OY!!! My husband said, "Let me try heat on it!" I thought it would make a mess. Geezzz, I guess I should've listened. Oh well too late now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:22 PM  

  • I for one am jealous of your nice manicure. :)

    By Blogger JenniferB, at 5:20 PM  

  • You're a better knitter than I, Gunga Din! I would have had a major tantrum and put the sweater in the wood stove! Your attitude is great.

    By Blogger KnittingJones, at 1:31 AM  

  • I was going to give you the same tip as laritza, but with a paper towel instead of towel. As you'll keep the iron pretty low it won't burn the paper... this also works with wax on wallpaper... ask me how I know LOL.

    Cheers Eva

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:30 AM  

  • A brown paper bag will work with the iron as well. My grandfather taught me this when I was a little girl (maybe 4 years old). I bumped a hollyberry candle on Christmas and the wax spilled on the rug. Of course, I was sure my mother was going to kill me but Poppy taught me the paper bag and iron trick before my mom got home and noone was ever the wiser. Every time I smell a hollyberry candle I smile and think of him.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home