Zimmermania

Monday, December 25, 2006

Hi, first post! Tomten question...

Happy Dec 25. A smart Santa brought me "The Opinionated Knitter" for Christmas today and I've been reading it off and on all day (I have two young kids, so unfortunately can't sit down all day to read it!). I had been previously reading about Tomtens here and have something like 20 skeins of Araucania Nature Wool Chunky (132yards ea) and was wondering if those will be enough for an adult Tomten for myself. Does anyone know how many yards are in the skeins of Sheepswool she describes?

Thank you very much!
Jen at Friender

update: Thanks for your help in the comments. I knit a gauge swatch last night and am getting 3.75 sts per inch, not the 3 sts per in called for, so I have to do some fiddling. One of the reasons I sought out EZ is to be less of a follower, but I'm worried about doing the calculations for this change...

2 Comments:

  • the 2 ply is 210 yds. and the 3 ply is 130 yds.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:10 PM  

  • You could always measure the area of your gauge swatch, then unravel it and measure the amount of yards it took. Once you have those numbers, you can calculate the approximate surface area of your finished product and then figure out how many yards you'll need.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home