(almost) Finished Wishbone Sweater
This is the Wishbone Sweater, the December project from the Knitter's Almanac. Like EZ promises it is a very quick knit. So quick I have no progress photos for you. Sorry.
Recipient: 3 year-old son, Nikolai, who asked for a green sweater but now won't even look at it.
Yarn: 100% acrylic red heart worsted weight something, given to me by well meaning but uneducated relatives. I didn't have enough of either color to make a solid sweater so I fudged it as well as I could. We'll call it the brand new Gansey-Raglan stripe.
Gauge: 4 sts per inch, 29" chest. I used a size 10 needle, with the worsted weight yarn the knitting is very loose, but that's ok since my son is always hot.
Modifications: Not too many. I widened the shoulders a little, my son always outgrows his shirts shoulders first. Because I did that, the sleeves didn't meet at the center of the body before I had to stop decreasing for the neck. I also switched to a K2 P2 ribbing for the neck instead of stocking stitch with a hem. Thinking now, I should have done K2 P1 so I could center the ribs on the 3 body stitches I had left over, but I'm not that particular yet.
I still need to hem the sleeves so they'll wear better, but my sock needles are at home and I am not. For now I'm going to let the bottom roll up, then next year when he's taller I'll hem it so the whole length stays down.
Weaving the underarms was EASY!!! I've tried grafting on 6 sock toes so far with no luck, but EZ's explanation of down and up into the stitches vs. knit-wise and purl-wise made much more sense to me, I will no longer fear weaving, HOORAY!! For a very first sweater I am very happy with it. The pattern was clear and simple, and the results is good. Now I just need to get the kid to wear it!