Zimmermania

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Joining the fun

Hello, this is my first post here, hopefully they will continue. About myself, I learned to knit when I was 9 and promptly forgot, then again at 16, but I hated it. Well, this September I decided to knit a pair of socks for a folk costume, discovered circular knitting and have been addicted ever since. Being largely self-taught I really love EZ's common sense towards knitting, it all makes sense!

Last night I started making the Wishbone sweater from The Knitter's Almanac- I'm hoping to be done by Christmas, and I've never made a sweater before. Madness? Definately! I'm not even sure if it's going to work!

The original pattern calls for 2.5 sts per inch, 116 sts for a 46" sweater. I've gone to 4 sts per inch, but am still using 116 sts to make a 29" sweater for my 3 year old. This seems like classic EZ logic: Change the gauge but not the shaping and you make a smaller version. Has anyone else tried this??

I have about 5 more inches of body before I start sleeves, this is an extremely quick knit, so I hope to finish the body and first sleeve tonight, then hopefully some pictures!

3 Comments:

  • I change gauge to affect size all the time, though never on that particular sweater. In very formal patterns, you have to be careful and adjust the length when working it, but with EZ patterns you're expected to take care of that yourself, so no worries. :)

    Should work just fine. Can't wait to see photos.

    By Blogger Julie, at 2:28 PM  

  • I hear that babies have proportionally larger heads, so you may need to watch out for that. I don't know about 3-year-olds.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:35 AM  

  • Yes, actually my 3 year-old has a very large head, when I got near the neck stitches I was planning to change from stocking stitch to ribbing to give some more stretch.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home