Zimmermania

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Out of Yarn?

Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking and knitting EZ hats (oh the hats!) and thinking I should post them. Soon ;)

I need some reassurance and have to jump in with a question:



I have received 9 skeins of unidentified bulky-woolish Avalanch yarn courtesy of Ryan. 3 skeins each of 3 colors to be knit for Dulaan. I thought I would knit a giant mindless garter stitch square (a.k.a. Bog Jacket - because this one is gorgeous) because that's all I could handle right now and I love EZ construction methods, fashion forward, or not. (For those needing a quick refresher on its construction, I'll point you here. The approach/pattern is in EZ Knitting Around.)

Each skein has 60 or so yards. I had to cast on 70 stitches for a 28 inch chest and I'll need 70 ridges (140 rows) to create the square. If my first two skeins equal 8 inches long/21 ridges, I've got enough yarn, yes? (The yarn is so bulky and I go through a skein so fast, its scaring me. Just note my email address: running out of yarn is an issue. It may, or may not, contribute to my finishing issues. I'm not going there.)

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I fear you will run out, since garter stitch uses a lot of yarn. You might have enough for a seamless circular sweater in stipes -- and that would include using a different yarn for hems and facings -- heavier yarns just don't go that far.

    Another option for those beautiful colors would be to find another yarn -- possibly a handpaint with the same weight and colors -- and mix it all up in a beautiful bog. (I'd also consider Debbie New's Tam jacket; from her book "Unexpected Knitting" published by Schoolhouse Press.)

    By Blogger Rebecca Z., at 12:22 PM  

  • Those are great colors together. Will look forward to seeing what you decide to knit!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home