Zimmermania

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

EZ for the Whole Family


Here are my favorite guniea pigs for knitwear- son Gabriel in Cousin NALGAR, my mom in her Ribwarmer, and son Nikolai in another Ribwarmer.

Nikolai's Ribwarmer was straight from the book, just gague-ed down for a 4 year old. After it was finished and he tried it on we discovered that EZ must have written the design for adults whose shoulders are broader than their bellies. Rather than re-knit the entire thing, I ended up cutting 2 inches off each shoulder seam. Grr. More on that and a modified-for-kids version on my blog.


Gabriel's Cousin NALGAR turned out fantastic, considering the rough start it had. I ripped out everything but 5 inches of the body and started over. Instead of color blocks I started striping. Alternating the wiry brown yarn and the soft teal yarn made the fabric much more pliable and friendly. For the increases I did all the Make 1s rather loosely and that helped the sleeves go the right direction. It didn't come out perfect- I think I knit the neck 3 times and each sleeve twice- but with some strategic hand felting in the wash it came out beautifully. I think this is my favorite sweater so far. Very cute and soft and warm, with growing room!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • Peggy -- these are wonderful...and you must be so proud of those boys -- they're so handsome!

    I really like the vest you did -- I love that rib-warmer and need to make some more....

    By Blogger Mary G, at 6:34 PM  

  • lovely 'close-knit' family. the rib warmer is a project i will have to embark on soon or later. so stylish.

    By Blogger knititch, at 1:11 AM  

  • I love your work on these. Where did you find the fasteners for your mom's ribwarmer? I'm in the process of sizing the ribwarmer pattern up.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:19 AM  

  • Thank you for the kind words! The clasps for Mom's Ribwarmer came from Jo-ann.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home