Zimmermania

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Ribwarmer

Here is the Ribwarmer from Knitting Workshop. I made several modifications to the pattern- some things worked well, some worried me exceedingly until they all blocked out.
Knowing this was being made for a small person I changed the gauge from 4 sts/in to 5, but I did the math and kept the length specs the same as EZ's original. Unblocked it was too small, but garter stitch is wonderfully obliging and it blocked to the size I wanted.

I also made did the short row miters much square-er than EZ calls for. On the fronts she says go down to 15 sts then start going back up. It wasn't laying flat at all so I ended up going all the way down to 5 sts before I started going back up. On the back miters I went down to 2 sts. Even these were curling up, but again, blocking saved the day.

I wanted to make the back all in one piece so I picked up stitches from my cast on edge and knitted the second half directly onto the first. When the first half of the back miters were both finished I joined everything and worked back over 2 sets of short rows at the same time. I think Meg includes instructions for something like this in the Spun Out pattern, but I don't have that so I just did what made sense to me.
I intended to put on an I-cord border but I procrastinated and ran out of time. I decided to just crochet a border on instead (sorry EZ!), which took less than an hour. I'll try an I-cord next time.
The yarn is Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool- 65% wool, 35% silk- one strand each of plum and rust held together on sz. 6 needles. Heavenly soft. I hope the recipient likes it!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

  • Wow, that is very pretty! The colors in the yarn are phenomenal. Very, very nice.

    By Blogger Renee, at 1:37 PM  

  • How could they NOT love it!

    It's gorgeous. The colors are so nice.

    By Blogger KnittyLynn, at 2:44 PM  

  • Fantastic!! I am impressed. I really really love the colours you chose and the lovely fastening.

    By Blogger Ali P, at 6:08 PM  

  • Your modifications worked out really well! Looks very wearable and I bet it's soft too.

    By Blogger becky c., at 8:37 PM  

  • I love that silky wool! I'm knitting a sweater out of it now. It's so soft I'm a bit worried about how it will hold up, but it seems to hold up fine to repeated frogging!

    By Blogger ChiaLea, at 5:26 AM  

  • Gorgeous! I love the clasp, too.

    By Blogger JMH, at 5:59 AM  

  • Meg shows you how to not have to seam the ribwarmer in the back. It is in one of the Spun Out issues. She also has other modifications: standup collar, longer length.

    Good job. I am knitting one straight from EZ's original pattern, and then will do one to fit me once I understand how it works.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:44 AM  

  • I can't see the photo. How frustrating! I can see the other photos in the blog. I am in love with the ribwarmer pattern, as well as the Elsbeth Lavold yarn. Is there any chance you have a personal blog and I could go there to see the photo? Thanks!

    By Blogger MJ, at 4:50 AM  

  • I can't see the pictures either.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:16 AM  

  • I re-posted the pictures so it should be working now. Thank you for all the wonderful comments!
    My blog is at noodleknit.wordpress.com

    Thanks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home