Zimmermania

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Bog excitement

I got Knitting Around for Christmas and was immediately fascinated by the construction of the Bog Jacket, after seeing this one I'm going to go for it. (even if it is entirely the wrong season, winter will come again...)

I have some cascade 220 quattro in color 9433 with one of the solids for the border & I think I'm ready to start. I have 5 skeins - I hope that will be enough for the body, if it looks tight I can always put a big ol' stripe of the solid along the top of the shoulder to help stretch it out.

Has anybody done one of these? Any advice or helpful hints?

I am also considering doing a border of an inch or two of the solid color along the bottom edge and on the edge of the sleeves - I'm curious if anybody has tried anything like this and how it looked.

One final question - if I do one that is 36" around, the math works out so the body to the underarms will be 18" - that seems really long, is it supposed to be long like that or am I missing a design characteristic that would make it shorter?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help! I can also be found here.

5 Comments:

  • I am half way through my fist bog. I cant really offer any help but I am cheering you on (as I havent succeeded yet..lol)

    I would recomend that you really figure out your size and the guage perfectly, as I had problems with the fit and ripped back. I am making some adjustments that Meg suggests in the Knitting around book such as long sleeves and nipping in at the waist for shape.

    I also was able to determine how much yarn I needed after the first ball. I cast on and knit the jacket up and then counted the ridges. As you know based your guage how many ridges you need for your size, you will know how much yarn you need.

    Cant wait to hear about your progress

    Casey

    By Blogger Minnesota Mazzio's, at 1:46 PM  

  • I finished my first bog jacket over Christmas as a present for my grandmother. I highly recommend all of the modifications that come with the pattern. The only one I didn't use was the afterthought pocket. The only one I had trouble with was the shoulder shaping. On my sweater I found the shoulders were set too far apart, and hit where drop shoulders usually do. I think the solution for this would be to compare the shoulder span to the armspan and see if it fits EZ's ratio (I think it was 1/3). Make it smaller rather than larger, because it will work out.

    I don't know about the border idea -- I stuck with the shoulder striping that is shown in the models instead. The i-cord border does add a nice contrast, but the border might look very interesting. You could also continue with a stripe along the front (where a zipper could go) by picking up stitches!

    As far as the length & width -- you can adjust the length however you like. Measure the length you would like to have from the underarm down, and knit that much before you do the thumb trick for the sleeves.

    If you want to see my sweater, you can look at www.kknit.blogspot.com. The pictures are very low-quality, but you can see what it looked like.

    Hope that helps!

    Kelley

    By Blogger Kelley, at 6:39 PM  

  • Yet another reason why I need that book. sigh.

    By Blogger Ali P, at 9:26 AM  

  • Thank you for your help! I will post my progress as I go.

    By Blogger Rachael, at 6:22 PM  

  • Oh cool! I just started a bog jacket too! I am two inches up the body and contemplating where and when to start for waist shaping. A quick thanks to Kelley for the heads-up on the shoulder shaping. I am very excited about this jacket and I will look forward to seeing how you are doing with yours! Very cool.

    By Blogger Mary, at 8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home