Zimmermania

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Using a Life Line

I have been admiring all the wonderful EZ projects on this site. I am envious of the hybrid sweaters and continue to work toward making one. So,for the past month (on and off) I've been working to remake the hybrid sweater that was ruined when hot wax dripped onto that attempt. I was pleased with the progress I had been making on the project...UNTIL....Sunday night! That is when I discovered I was following directions for the saddle and the hybrid, which resulted in my shoulders having two different seam angles.
In order to get back on track, I will have to "frog" about four inches. I learned to use a life line when I learned to make lace (still haven't mastered that art), so in an effort not to have to back knit and just rip-it, rip-it, rip-it, I pulled a life line through the sweater (lighter green yarn line). I am not 100% certain that I have an exact straight row, but I decided to live on the edge and just eyeball it!
Tonight I will frog and attempt to restart the shoulders. We are expecting a lot of snow overnight, so if I'm lucky, I'll be home knitting tomorrow rather than working.

Cross Posted on http://knightlyknitter.blogspot.com/

4 Comments:

  • poor thing.... why do you have to go through all this.. annoying. and sometimes when i knit i ask myself why. and how many sweaters that would have come out of all the things i have frogged. good luck with a day in knitting tomorrow.

    By Blogger knititch, at 4:01 PM  

  • You don't have to rip it all out. I also made mistakes when shoulder shaping. Just knit over to the section above the mistake. Drop all involved stitches off the needles. drop to below the mistake. Pick up row for row correcting the mistakes and shaping properly as you go. I have done this multiple times on all different kinds of mistakes and it works great.

    By Blogger Annie in the Round, at 7:12 AM  

  • What a great idea for the next time I make a mistake...being a newie, I was afraid if I didn't get back to a "safe" point I'd really mess-up. I'm on track now. Thanks for the advice.

    By Blogger Nonna Rose, at 8:03 AM  

  • Another note for next time - if you do have to frog, you can also put in a size US 0 or 1 needle instead of a lifeline. That way it's easier to just knit right off the smaller needle after you've finished frogging.

    And, as I'm sure you've figured out by now, it's no big deal if your lifeline (or small needle) is a little off - it's much easier to pick up a few stitches a few rows than to just rip without any kind of safety net.

    By Blogger Kate A., at 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home