Zimmermania

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Icelandic Yoke Sweater

This is a child's sized Icelandic Yoke Sweater using EZ's percentage system (EPS) from Knitting Around, following her suggestions for sizing for a child, and the icelandic yoke neck pattern from the Opinionated Knitter and (I think) Knitting Without Tears, with some modifications. I followed her suggestions to the letter for the sizing, except that I don't like big sleeves for kids and so I made the sleeves like an adults, just increasing to 40% like she recommends for children, instead of the smaller adult percentage. I also planned ahead for the cardigan (wanting this sweater to fit as long as possible and be worn as much as possible) and added four stitches to the center where I would cut the steek.

I used Knit Picks' Wool of the Andes in Winter Night (the main color) 5 skeins, Chambray (light blue) 1 skein, Avocado (green) 1 skein, and Cream 1 skein. I couldn't believe how many skeins of yarn this sweater took and it's really not all that big. Personally, I don't really like the Wool of the Andes, because of the small amount of yardage in the balls, but my son loves the sweater and loves the colors - so it was worth it.

I have another sweater almost complete, using the same design, actually it's the same sweater except smaller, but in red with the same yoke colors on the top. I made the set as a big brother/little someone (expected any day now) sweater ensemble that could be worn by both of them for the next year (maybe two).

Really? It was all just an excuse to get these cute car buttons for my son.

More info and pictures on my blog.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • this is a beauty. i want to do one for a grown up man i know and i want to do one for a little girl. this design 'the fair isle' yoke is both very masculine and very feminine. you did a good and inspirational job.

    By Blogger knititch, at 2:21 PM  

  • Beautiful! I love the colors and must admit that every time I go button shopping, I admire those car buttons and wonder how I might use them :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:34 AM  

  • This sweater is beautiful. I particularly liked the picture on your blog. I was planning to make myself one, but am now thinking a cardigan would be a good way to get started with steeking, since this project would just require the steek in front. Thanks for sharing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:45 PM  

  • The sweater is STUNNING! I just adore those colors - and the buttons as well :)

    By Blogger tweezle, at 6:53 PM  

  • Wow it looks fantastic, I am in the midst of one myself...

    By Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter, at 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home