Zimmermania

Friday, January 12, 2007

Swedish Tomten

Although I have been knitting for a long time I first read about EZ only when I discovered knitting on the web. It took some years more before I really got curious about her and only this fall I read for the first time a book by her and I got hooked.... To give the background, I come from the Netherlands and all during my youth knitting was a very big thing and maybe that was the reason EZ was not very well known. During the 90s knitting virtually disappeared and only now it is coming back. In the meantime I moved to Sweden (where knitting never totally disappeared) and then a couple of years later I am here. Curious enough my real discovery came at the same time as Zimmermania started, so that was good timing. Since I live in Sweden now the Tomten seemed to be the most appropriate one to start with, and fitting too, since my two year old could do with another jacket.

So here it is my first real EZ item. I knitted yoked sweaters before but since these had patterns and not recipes I don’t count them, nice as they are.

tomten

This Tomten is knitted with Lorna’s Laces worsted in the colourway Embers. I like the way it came out. The way that the colours pooled was very symmetrical in the body and it gives it a bit of extra. I made the body longer than 40 ridges since I wanted more of a coat than a cardigan. I used some scrap yarn to have an attached I-cord along the front and the hood. As it happened the scrap yarn came from a “tomteluva” project for my eldest one. (Tomteluva = a very pointy gnome cap).

tomtenisse1

To finish, some photos of my tomtenisse wearing her Tomten. It is on the big side so that she can wear it for a long time but the hood is snug and she is really cuddly in it.

tomtenisse2

Now on to a bog-jacket for my 7-year old...

16 Comments:

  • I haven't oh'ed and ah'ed like that in a long time! It is such a stunning jacket! Really lovely, and I'm sure your little beauty is appreciating the warmth. I'm a huge fan of Lorna's Laces fans - will have to try it out on an EZ pattern.

    Thanks for sharing!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:54 AM  

  • What a wonderful jacket! I love the yarn, and you did a beautiful job.

    By Blogger Kelley, at 10:33 AM  

  • Great looking jacket! How perfect to make a tomten in Sweden for your very own little elf! (And a very interesting-looking stove/oven I can see only in part.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:17 AM  

  • That is beautiful!!! What size needles did you use for the jacket? I love how the finished fabric looks so firm. Is that Lornas Laces the superwash?

    By Blogger Liane, at 11:28 AM  

  • Wow. I've been quietly stalking this blog for a while, but this is the 1st time I *had* to say something... your tomten (and color/yarn choice) is FANTASTIC!

    By Blogger aija, at 11:34 AM  

  • Wow, this is beautiful!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:54 AM  

  • Wow! I LOVE it. Great job!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:15 PM  

  • Wonderful! I love your version. Thanks for sharing!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:40 PM  

  • I love your Tomten. What a beautiful colorway. Your little one looks very cozy in it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:44 PM  

  • Fantastic job! Very sweet on your little one!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:30 PM  

  • I love the way the Lorna's Laces looks with that pattern!

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 3:48 PM  

  • This is simply exquisite! I agree with you that you couldn't have asked for better pooling of the yarn. I got my first EZ book, The Opinionated Knitter, this holiday season and the Tomten is in it. Your photos make me want to knit one.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:57 PM  

  • So sweet! I love the look of that wool in that pattern--my favorite Tomten yet seen.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:35 PM  

  • wat een schattige Tomtenisse :)

    Translation: what a cute Tomtenisse :)

    Cheers Eva

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:37 AM  

  • Just thank you for all your kind remarks! It was indeed superwash LL and I knitted it on 4.5 mm needles with exactly 3 hanks.
    The every interesting stove is an electrolux one and it is quite common here in Sweden...

    By Blogger Marjotse, at 1:42 AM  

  • ååååå, den var jättesöt!! ( pojken också)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home