Zimmermania

Saturday, November 11, 2006

moccasin socks


From the knitter's almanac, done in Paton's wool rich DK. The only mod really was that I changed from rib to st st. There were a few numbers played with for the larger guage.

They are destined to be "superman socks" for my brother. When he was little he was obsessed with superman and I made him some superman boots by drawing a superman logo in gold paint on the side of some red wellington boots. Now he's all grown up, I said I'm make him a slipper sock version.

I'm going to put some blobs of fabic paint on the soles, so he's less likely to slip when he's wearing them.

I'm not sure whether to embroider/ crochet on the superman logo or use fabric paint for it. What do you think?

Next up, some mitered mit's from the same book. Though I think I'll do them top-down, on two circs (both mits at once, if I can).

10 Comments:

  • these are fantastic what a great idea!!! I say paint it on ;)

    By Blogger Lothlorian, at 2:33 PM  

  • I think the non-skid action on the bottoms should come from Superman logos - kill two birds with one stone! Then the Superman thing is kind of a secret joke between you and your brother, too. Fun!

    By Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter, at 3:54 PM  

  • I think the logo would last longer if it was embroidered on; fabric paint tends to peel off after a while.

    They look great! Any chance you could get a photo of the back of the heel while they're being worn? I've always wondered what they look like from that angle.

    By Blogger Beth, at 3:54 PM  

  • Those look superb! Love the color choice :)

    By Blogger Glaistig, at 4:54 PM  

  • I have an uncle who would love this. He had a homemade costume as a child. Great gift.

    By Blogger Nettie, at 6:35 PM  

  • Duplicate stitch/ embroider is what I would likely do.

    By Blogger Kucki68, at 10:46 PM  

  • These are great, but I don't think you will be happy putting fabric paint on wool.I think the logo should be done in duplicate stitch (over the knit stitches). That would look very cool.

    By Blogger Martha, at 12:16 PM  

  • You can get an old suede coat at the thrift store for $10 or so and get a whole lot of soles from that. It's great! I made a pair of house slippers and whipstitched the suede on the bottom.
    Liane

    By Blogger Liane, at 3:39 PM  

  • > I'm not sure whether to embroider/ crochet on the superman logo

    I vote for duplicate stitch. He'll be sure to treasure these socks for a long, long time, so you the time and effort to do it won't go to waste.

    By Blogger ax174, at 8:25 AM  

  • When going through clothing you no longer wear, consider refashioning it to keep up with the trends. Socks are an ideal piece of clothing to refashion because they rarely loose their natural shape
    leather cotton socks | socks moccasins

    By Blogger Frank John, at 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home