Zimmermania

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Rufus & Bargy

Pattern: Mittens (child) with curled-tip modification, The Opinionated Knitter by Elizabeth Zimmermann
Needles: size US 7 dpn, wood.
Yarn: Some happy hand-dyed, mill-spun yarn found at the Taos Wool Festival. Regrettably, I didn't pay attention to the vendor's name. (I was high on yarn!)
Gauge: 4.5 st/inch
Size: small child (age 3-6)
Modifications: The child-sized pattern instructions were clearly intended for an older child(maybe 8-10 yrs), at the gauge given. I wanted my mittens to fit a 4-year-old, plus my gauge was large, so I cast on 32 st instead of 36. I Knit the cuff with the adult length (for extra warmth). I Created only two k3,p1 ridges on top of mitten (instead of three) to adjust for the smaller size of the mitt. I also had to move the thumb lower and significantly shorten the overall length. I embroidered the back with little x's instead of the chevrons Elizabeth chose. Eyes added.
Named: Rufus & Bargy (by the giftee, of course)

See my blog for more cuteness.

2 Comments:

  • Those are just darling! I love the color of your yarn...droool...

    By Blogger Liane, at 8:36 AM  

  • Very quirky and adorable! And the giftee did a great job naming them. :) I like the curled tips, too.

    By Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter, at 11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home