After my first baby surprise jacket I knew I had to make another one, it is simply too much fun. So another one was cast-on, this time for a baby to be born during Australia's autumn. I used Socks That Rock heavyweight in Ms la Rock on 4 mm needles. It was very very nice to work with this yarn!
Since I thought that the only problem with the BSJ are the short arm-lengths, this time round I elongated them. I knitted for each arm a piece of 7 ridges and I put the increases which normally come after 6 ridges in these pieces. Then I cast on the middle stitches for the back in between them and continued in the normal pattern. This gives a nice arm-length and is not that hard to do. The only worry I had: do I have enough yarn... It turned out that I had but to have 3 yards as left-over is not much.
I was lucky with the buttons, we have a real haberdashy shop in my town and the have a real excellent selection of buttons. I love these little ones, very nice I think for children items.
I guess if another opportunity comes around I will make another BSJ. In fact my daughter has kindly asked for one for her "build a bear" rabbit and I have a lot of sock yarn left-overs. It just might be that opportunity.....