Zimmermania

Monday, January 07, 2008

Smockulus (EZ February Baby Sweater)



Having no more babies but loving EZ's February Baby Sweater from Knitters Almanac, I decided to make one using worsted weight Malabrigo. I added one more increase row to the garter stitch round to avoid having to cast on new stitches for the sleeves and underarms, and joined the knitting to make it a pullover. After separating the sleeve stitches from the body, I did a few inches of mock cable at the raised waist, then increased the stitch count by about a 3rd to create a full skirt (the smock effect. The last few inches of smock and the sleeve cuffs are in old shale, for added interest. Okay, so this may not look all that much like the sweater design that inspired it, but I'd like to think EZ would have approved!


There are a few more pics of Smockulus Minoris on my blog. My next project will be a Smockulus Majoris, for Olive's big sis!

7 Comments:

  • Love it!!!
    Now I have to try one :-)

    By Blogger Hannah, at 9:56 AM  

  • Wow, I want to make one for myself. Love the old shale (?) edge.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:46 AM  

  • Hah. I re-read the post-- didn't see that you mentioned old shale by name. I always get old shale & feather and fan mixed up...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:51 AM  

  • I love the sweater -- and I love Miss Olive's gorgeous hair style!

    By Blogger ejmh, at 1:47 PM  

  • It totally looks EZ inspired - she would have loved all your design elements.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:54 PM  

  • I think EZ was all about doing things to customize your project, so knit on! I did the same thing with the BSJ, I did it in WW Malabrigo for the 4-year-old.

    Love it!

    By Blogger yarnmaniac, at 8:11 AM  

  • I think it's wonderful - great mods! Lydia

    By Blogger Windansea, at 5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home