Zimmermania

Saturday, May 19, 2007

A Surprise for Stefan


Between my first and second efforts, I'd begun to wonder if it would be completed by the time Stefan entered college. Thankfully, it's done, and my co-worker's newborn grandson is a mere one month old.

This Baby Surprise Sweater is a far better end-product that its predecessor. Though not perfect, practice has definitely made my second attempt at Elizabeth Zimmermann's classic design more uniform. Where is the first? That baby's long since been frogged, with the buttons & yarn set aside for yet another attempt.

In a nod to practicality (sorry, natural-fiber enthusiasts: I feel your pain, but frankly, I'm lazy, and loathe the very thought of giving a new mom some knitted up thing that requires special handling), I worked the sweater in Plymouth Encore worsted, a very soft 25% wool/75% acrylic, machine wash & dry yarn, and stitched it up on size 6 KnitPicks Options, in three perfectly neutral and Harvard-like (the kid's college-bound, you recall) colors: cranberry relish, stony beach, and natural.

My two disappointments: 1. That I was unable to use the splendid hi-gloss cranberry-colored five-point star buttons, as originally planned (yes, Child Protective Services, it finally dawned unwise to fasten sharp pointy objects onto infant wear); and 2. That I don't seem to have positioned the round and satiny alternatives very well. In the photo, you see that that they tug a bit, distorting the edge of the sweater? That's something I've got to work on in the future.

Still, I'm pleased, and just love those striped corners! All in all, this was a fun project, and one I'd happily do again.

My thanks to all the talented Zimmermaniacs who daily inspire me with their creative takes on Elizabeth's timeless designs. And, yes... welcome to the world, baby Stefan!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • Very cute and collegiate!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:27 PM  

  • I love your words...you make sense and i agree about the washabiliy and speed of washability too....otherwise the acket may get cast aside until its handwash day again! Who are you? I guess you have blogged this somewhere?

    By Blogger picperfic, at 11:47 PM  

  • As much as I love wool and want to spread the wool love around, you're totally right about the Encore. Perfect choice, and the colors are great!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:51 AM  

  • Love the stripy corners!

    By Blogger Kelley, at 5:13 AM  

  • Excellant job!

    I also have made two BSJ's , it keeps getting better doesn't it?

    By Blogger luv2knit, at 4:02 PM  

  • Lovely!

    By Blogger Davina, at 8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home