Zimmermania

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Avalanche update



I "knit on" with confidence. Or something like that.

Here's how the logic panned out yesterday: if one skein does 11 plus ridges, 9 skeins would make 90 (plus) ridges and I have enough yarn. (I need 70 ridges.) So I kept on knitting.

After running out of brown, and knitting in the "thumb trick" that marks the fold lines, I realized that I wanted to be weaving rust to rust. So I needed to "center" the blue around the top of the shoulder. Calculating ensued. Verdict unknown.

Today's dilemma is to figure out if there will be enough yarn for an icord border. (And will it be of one color?) If one skein does 11 ridges (22 rows) of 70 stitches per row, that is 1540 stitches per skein. I need to pick up one stitch per cast on stitch (70) , plus one per ridge (70) each side (another 70) plus a few extra for making square turns around the corner (210 total pickup stitches plus a few). If I do a 2 stitch icord (vs 3 stitch, because it is bulky yarn) that would be 3 stitches knit for each icord "stitch". 3 x 210 is 630 (plus a few for those corners). That's about 1/2 skein of yarn. Right?

2 Comments:

  • I think I'd go ahead and do the 3-stitch i-cord if you think you'll have enough yarn left. I think it will look a little tidier than a 2-stitch version. It's going to be handsome, anyway!

    By Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter, at 2:27 PM  

  • I don't want to alarm you - but, from the photo, it appears that your thumb tricks are going in the same direction. That means when you remove the aux. wool, the right-hand side will open up - ready to be folded and woven; but the left side will be attached at the outer selvedge by the working wool..
    No biggie; just be braced for it when you get to that part.
    I did the same thing with my first Bog - and had to fudge. Onward, Meg

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home