Zimmermania

Sunday, March 11, 2007

EZ's first sweater, first attempt that gone wrong

4 or 5 days of work will have no future--I'm going to frog it! Right now!


First, I decided to do everything completely as EZ says: hems at lower edge and on sleeves, her method of increasing on sleeves and her 40" around body--because I'm pregnant and was in doubt what circumference I want to do.
40" have been too wide even for my pregnant 7 mo. belly!
Increasing on sleeves--too drastic, and the ending circumferences were too wide also.
At the end, I didn't like that there is no ribbing around lower edges on sleeves and body--I didn't like that I need to go back after I'm done and do it! (It would have been difficult because I was doing it on ONE big circular needle, and it's not fun).
I was lucky that I found a pattern in FC Easy Knitting summer/spring 2004 that was founded on EZ's system (not precise, though). And I also liked the pattern on this yoke. The only disadvantage is that the pattern is designed for men! So, I'm changing figures and will do 36" around the body and take the yoke pattern (which is for women really because of big flowers).



P.S. When I was uniting the body and one sleeve yesterday, I discovered that there are only 110 stitches in the body, not 120 as I planned! That was a HUGE discovery for me, I didn't expect it!! And I was done with sleeves already (that should be 33% of the body stitches around at the end)--so they were wrong either. Initially, I wanted just to redo the sleeves from the point of increasing, and then decided to redo them all over to add ribbing. At the end, I decided to redo the whole body to make it smaller and add ribbing too.
I've been sitting yesterday until 5.30 in the morning, trying to draw the pattern that I like.

Later, when I was in bed, I decided to take this flower pattern from the magazine anyway. I was concerned because it has more than 5 stitches of one color in one row at the bottom and decreasing that didn't suit the EZ's decreasing style. I will solve these problems by adding little dots and do decreasing at the end of the yoke after I'm done with colors.


P.S. Maybe do you know where I can find READY ski sweater pattern for a women and men ?

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • I think that your first problem was taking your preg. measurement for the calculations. I think that you should have used your normal measurement for your calculations and then increased the lower part of the sweater to take into consideration your increased size there, and perhaps some increase for the bust.
    just my idea

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:17 AM  

  • I always need to make the sleeves narrower in EZ sweater patterns. But she does always suggest that you make your knitting the size YOU want it to be, without following measurements that she (or anyone else) suggests.

    By Blogger Emily, at 6:22 AM  

  • I agree with Susan here. If you want a decent measurement, and you have put on weight other than in your belly, measure just over your bust (right at your underarms) or just under your bust. This should be your key measurement. Then you want to measure your upper arms and adjust the increasing by using math or find a great calculator at http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/?p=201 (hope you can see the link). Measure your tummy and increase a little and also consider adding short rows to increase the length of the sweater in the tummy area

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:06 PM  

  • You got it wrong, Susan. I didn't measure myself. I MEASURED my favorite sweater. But the thing is, this is close fitted sweater and I'm not sure that I'll be able to squeeze myself into it (I hope so though).

    Thank you, Emily, for your suggestion, I'll do sleeves narrower these time.
    Thank you, Linda, for the link!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home