Zimmermania

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Another Baby Surprise


At the risk of repeating what everyone else has said, this really is one of the most fun patterns to knit, ever. I've always loved the practically seamless baby sweater from Knitters Almanac and have made it a few times, and for some reason resisted knitting this pattern. It's super fast-- I got it done in under a week of very limited knittting.

Yarn is Sierra Aran from elann.com, which is a great yarn, so many beautiful colors and it shows texture wonderfully. Also, unlike another of elann's yarns, it wears great, no pilling whatsoever.

However, I wouldn't recommend it for a baby sweater, because it's not machine washable. I thought, hey, I'm a knitter, I know how to care for wool, my baby can have one hand washable, etc... and right away I regretted it. He's already felting the placket with drool and teething, and if there's any mashed banana anywhere, it will find its way deep into this sweater immediately.

If you are knitting for a new baby and mom, please please ignore EZ advice on this matter (however charming) and use washable wool. The new mom will thank you.

Edited to add: If you're making longies to use over cloth diapers, of course still use regular wool. I don't think washable wool lanolizes as well.

6 Comments:

  • thats such good advice regarding machine washable wool...I love the colourway you have used and also thosephotos are so amusing!

    By Blogger picperfic, at 4:27 AM  

  • That sweater looks so nice on your cute little man with the chubby feet! Thanks for the excellent advice.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:37 AM  

  • Very sophisticated colors, looks so handsome on the cute model!

    I'm searching for buttons for my first BSJ, should have a picture to post this week. I used a 75% acrylic/25% wool blend with subtle variegation.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:31 AM  

  • I absolutely love the colors you've used. Very boyish and yet gender neutral.
    Makes me wish I had a wee little 'un again.

    By Blogger Ali P, at 4:31 PM  

  • That is a lovely sweater! I have to disagree and say I prefer regular wool for babies (since superwash is chemically treated). I find that it washes clean so easily compared to regular clothes that get stained. That said, I have a girl and she is not so messy!

    By Blogger Liane, at 5:10 PM  

  • Love the colors! Fantastic job!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home