Zimmermania

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Tomten and other projects



Finally getting around to posting here! I've been knitting EZ's designs for a while now, but am just getting around to posting here. The first thing I ever made by EZ was her seamless yoke sweater. Close up of the yoke here. Will have to have hubby take a pic of me wearing it as the one pic I have is really awful! I followed EZ's instructions for the sweater and for the yoke I just got out the graph paper and started seeing what I could create that would fit with the multiple of stitches I had. I love that there are so many possibilities with this sweater. You can use the same "recipe" and tweak it with different yoke designs or colors and give it a totally different look.

Next I tried the "adult" Surprise jacket. I think my mistake was trying to do stripes. I liked the way it looked, but all those ends to weave it, oy! By the time I got to the point of picking up stitches to knit this sleeves, I gave up. Poor thing is still in this state...



Has anyone else had the same problem? Maybe next time I'll try it in a variegated yarn and save myself the trouble.

Now I'm working on a Tomten jacket for a cool kid I know. Hopefully won't run into the same problem with it as I did the surprise jacket!

7 Comments:

  • Beautiful! Yes, those ends to weave in - not so fun.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:44 PM  

  • wonderful sweaters -- after decades of reading and being inspired by EZ I'm finally starting my own yoke sweater. I love the colors of yours! The surprise jacket looks great, but I'm with you I hate tucking in errant ends -- maybe next time make them long and call them "fringe"!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:11 PM  

  • both sweaters are beautiful... the ends do sound like a chore but the colors are wonderful.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:54 AM  

  • OH MY!!! Both are gorgeous! If you're in the mood, write about how you handled the jog in your yoke. I'm struggling with that and would love to hear what you tried.

    I'm making an ASJ now and "oy" is right. In mine, I change colors every two rows. Yes, that's right, two rows. I'm knitting some of the ends in while I go, but it is still lots of end.

    By Blogger K2Karen, at 8:22 AM  

  • the finishing is a boring but satisfying part of knitting, i suppose. i love the fair isle yoke. wonderful colours and very much in fashion these days.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:26 AM  

  • Those are beautiful colors on your tomten! Weaving in the ends look like they were well worth it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:40 PM  

  • I made a similar sweater for my niece and had to weave in a crazy number of ends. After I was done I realized I should have just sewed in a lining. I did that for a pair of complex fairisle mittens.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home