Zimmermania

Sunday, January 14, 2007

EZ projects from a new member


Hi everyone! Just joined the Zimmermaniacs here but have been knitting for about 4 years now. Because I taught myself from library books I discovered EZ pretty early on, and very soon bought "Knitting Without Tears" for myself. The title was so reassuring!

I have since collected most of her books, and have knit quite a few things from them. I'll list the main ones here in case it helps anyone else with their projects.

The first thing I knit from the book was a Tomten jacket for my niece. I used Patons Astra, on 4mm needles, and ended up with a toddler size (I remember being surprised at the time at how huge it was! I didn't understand the yarn weights in the book very well). That's it on the right. I sewed a zipper in as a closure, instead of buttons.

After that I knit a yoke sweater for my son using Patons Melody. That was my first successful attempt at double pointed needles, which I used for the sleeves, and my first seamless sweater. I was hooked on seamlessness after that! It just seemed to make so much sense.

And probably the most practical item that I ever knit from one of EZ's books was the Very Warm Hat for my DH. I knit it with Lamb's Pride worsted, exactly to pattern, and it is such a warm hat that one can go out with wet hair on a -40 degree day and not even realize one's head is outdoors! I steal it as often as I can. Should probably make myself one, one day...

I think I may attempt either a pair of Norwegian mittens or a BSJ next. Or maybe another sweater for one of my boys, or a Ganomy hat? I just can't decide! I'll be sure to report on my progress here whatever I do. It is so helpful to see what yarn others have chosen, or what glitches they've run into and fixed.

Thanks for all the inspiration!

Christine

6 Comments:

  • Welcome to the EZ club! Love your projects and happy knitting.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:37 AM  

  • Love your tomten-looks beautiful in lilac.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:16 AM  

  • You really know your EZ! Great projects!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:42 PM  

  • Thank you for the inspiration! I learned to knit the same way, btw - EZ's books are like the bible! :)

    Thanks for sharing - they're all wonderful. I think I'm going to try the hat next!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:36 AM  

  • Beautiful work! I especially like the jacket--lovely color.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:20 PM  

  • I have been looking everywhere for the pattern for the Zimmerman hat that is reversible. Shown on this site. There is a picture of the hat posted by Christine. I was wondering if anyone would know where I could get the pattern for this hat. My mother used to have this pattern in an old magazine. She made one for everyone. But there was a huge flood in our house and most of her old knitting pattern books and magazines were ruined. I would love to be able to get this pattern back for her.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home