Zimmermania

Sunday, December 31, 2006

A Bevy of Hats

It all started out so innocently... I made my elder son a Maltese Fishermen's Hat from the Knitter's Almanac for Christmas. He opened it shortly after a wooden sword and shield, and it was discovered that it is the perfect shape for a Knight's helmet.
Couldn't I make one for little nephew? OK.
Niece saw me knitting and realized she needed one too. OK.
Sister-in-law saw them and realized one of her nephews needed one. OK.
Little son also got a wooden sword for Christmas and realized he needed a Knight's hat. OK.
Elder son saw everyone else getting to pick their yarn and realized he didn't like the color I'd originally made him- pass it to nephew he likes it- Phew!! OK.
Mother saw all these hats and realized it would be just the thing to keep her perpetually cold ears nice and toasty. OK.
In short- I have knitted 5 Maltese Fishermen's Hats since Christmas. This is the last one, mid earflap shaping. I wish I had pictures of them all but 3 of the hats laft town yesterday w/ my brother's family. I will have to get pictures soon.

All the hats were knitted with 2 strands of Lion Brand Homespun- use it up, right? held together on size 10 needles. Very very dense and warm. I knit rather tightly so I also made a sized up version on 60 sts instead of 56, since I had no larger needle. If you try sizing it up I would recommend adding all 4 sts to the ear flap section and not increasing the width of the face opening. I tried 2 sts each and the face ended up way too wide. When you come to the decreasing just start with P2tog K13 and progress down.

And here is the beginning of a Wishbone for my niece's 3rd birthday next week. Stranded mint green and pink, hopefully she likes it. I would like to do something brilliant and exciting on the sleeve tops as they eat away the body, but I'm not sure what yet. If anyone has a nice 35 st pattern I would be very interested.

2 Comments:

  • I love the story! That sounds like a fun Christmas ;-) Hats look great, too...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:22 PM  

  • There's a great 35 stitch cable pattern in Barbara Walker's 3rd treasury called "The Sands of Time." It's an hourglass with flowing sand -- kind of appropriate for a birthday present, and maybe the sand could be pink to match the pink in the sweater's cuffs...?

    By Blogger Splindarella, at 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home