Zimmermania

Friday, December 29, 2006

Testing the theory

Thank you so much to everyone who has given such real thought to my method/madness, and commented about it. Jen and Amieedewar in particular made me want to examine my modifications more closely.
I took out the "trick" thread and started knitting the sleeve this morning, after completing about three inches below the division. I like the way the top looks, though it was a bit of unrecordable fudging to make the pattern flow well - I think I can sort-of reproduce it on the other side, though as for writing it out... ah well.
BUT...


...under the arm is a bulging that bothers me. I don't mind that I will probably have a slightly wider back, or that the sleeves are flat, because baby sweaters don't really need a lot of shaping, and the lace pattern will be rather forgiving. But the body under the armpit is definitely too wide. I suppose I could keep going and make a baby dress, but I'd really make a sweater. Amieedewar said something in her comment that made me re-read the directions. I had read the picking-up of stitches under the sleeve - "...knitting up 4 X 7 sts at the cast-on sleeve sts" - as "Pick up 28 st at each armpit," while it appears now that EZ meant 14 at each armpit. That's a significant difference, and would explain why my sweater looks so malformed...

However, I am not afraid of ripping back to correct a mistake. I am going to finish this one sleeve, rip back and decrease under the arm to have a more reasonable number of stitches in the lower body. And in the future, I may just try another way of modifying. Or do it EZ's way.
I'll keep you updated on how it goes!

4 Comments:

  • Yup, that's what I was trying to say about flat sleeves--you are picking up the same number of sts top and bottom. The 7 sts at each sleeve end (as the pattern is written) create the sleeve gusset. And, you are working on 21 sts across the top of the sleeve, whereas the pattern is written for 28.

    It's always worthy experimenting! And as you say, baby sweaters don't need a lot of shaping--just big neck openings.

    I was working on my version yesterday and, upon switching to another color after the last yoke increases, found the dye to be bleeding onto my fingers as I knit! Now I have to rip back and see if I can fix the dye. If it's not one thing, it's another!

    I do love the colors in your sweater.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:53 PM  

  • I cast on for this sweater yesterday and got to the point of the sleeves. The directions were so confusing that I put it down in a fit of, well, almost anger. I called my sister this morning for some help and we came to the same conclusion about picking up 14 stitches for each sleeve. So far, so good . . . but I am really glad this is my first EZ piece as anything larger would have thrown me for a loop. I'll post some pics when I get a little further along.

    Ava

    By Blogger Lola and Ava, at 7:49 AM  

  • very sweet color! makes me want to knit one! ...now if only i new some babies...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:39 PM  

  • I think it looks super! Can't wait to see it all done!

    By Blogger mishi2x, at 5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home