Zimmermania

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

what to do?

The body of my seamless hybrid is finished - but none of the edges are and it's starting to drive me a little crazy. The original plan was to do hems like this one, but when I made the first hem on the sleeve I hated it. It's too thick and it makes a weird line where it's connected to the sleeve. It looks cool on Jared's sweater, but not mine.
So, I tried 2x1 ribbing, an idea I got from a sweater I bought this weekend. I hated it. Then I tried a hem again, hated it, then 2x1 ribbing again tonight and remembered that I hated it. So, you can see the hem I tried again in this picture, the white, but it's just pretty awful. I don't know what to do with all of the edges now, and I think the sleeve I've been experimenting on is starting to look tortured. I don't like rolled edges, so I can't just leave it as it is and cast off. I like the edges on this sweater, but that means hems again, and I think this yarn is just too bulky for hems. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks! Nat

6 Comments:

  • I did my hems on needles two sizes smaller in the same yarn. I also cast on 100% of the stitches. The hems ARE thick, but I don't mind. My bottom hem is probably 2 inches or so and the sleeves are 1.5 inches. I've read in other places that you can use a slightly finer yarn on the hem facing so that seems like a good idea.

    By Blogger corbett, at 8:53 PM  

  • I like to use leftover sock yarn formy hems.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:30 AM  

  • Well, if you like the "flatness" of the hem, but not the bulk, you could try a few inches of seed stitch. It will lay "flatter" if you slowly transition your seed stitch...

    Assuming circlulars, and from body to hem edge: 0=purl .=knit

    0.....0.....0
    .0...0.0...0.
    0.0.0.0.0.0.0
    .0.0.0.0.0.0.
    (continue till desired length)

    Your sweater looks great! I'm sure whatever you decide will look excellent!

    By Blogger one year from now....., at 4:38 AM  

  • I would go for garter stitch. So simple with the lovely stockinette stitch you have done.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:58 AM  

  • I've done hems with finer yarn on the inside part(fingering weight as opposed to a heavy DK) and I *loved* the results...absolutely flat.

    By Blogger Kate A., at 7:38 AM  

  • Garter stitch is my favorite edge treatment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home