Zimmermania

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Snail Hat

I love this hat!
It fits me - just. It's supposed to be made with sheepsdown in a gauge of 7 1/2 sts /3 inches. I have never had such a bulky yarn. I had to hold together three strands of Berroco's Ultra Alpaca and knit it with 8mm needles. When I put it on my head it stretches out and the folds disappear, but that's O.K. I'd like to make another one soon, but have to keep a lookout for a super bulky yarn. By the way, I've used three different colors, all leftovers from other knits. I followed the instructions in "The Opinionated Knitter", but I've cast on 50 instead of 40. I even steamed the folds but even with the dummy head it's stretched out. If I can't find a bulky yarn for this hat, I'll have to do a little math to make it larger, but for now it's fine. I'm happy with it.
Monika

2 Comments:

  • I love it!! It looks v toasty. Great job :-)

    By Blogger S, at 10:27 AM  

  • confused by knit back and forth then join and knit in round. then band has a notch in it. seam it later? why not join right away?

    By Blogger Rose Morisoli, at 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home