Zimmermania

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Baby Pillbox Hat


baby pillbox hat
Originally uploaded by Joie | flâneuse.


Pattern: Elizabeth Zimmerman's Pillbox Hat, from Opinionated Knitter
Needles: Size 4 mm DPNs
Yarn: Wolle Rodel superwash, dutch blue, ice blue, white and grey
Gauge: 5.5 sts per inch, 8 rows per inch
Modifications: used provisional cast on instead of picking up sts for hem, CO 91 sts, inc up to 95 for 2 rounds, dec 2 sts to accommodate the 11 row fair isle border, dec down to 91 sts for top of hat. Hat is sized to fit a 6 month old baby (14 inch head circumference).

This was a super fast and addictive hat to knit. I love working in fair isle--the knitting seems to fly by and I love watching the design emerge.

Typical of EZ's patterns, it encourages the knitter to add his or her own knitted embellishments to make the hat their own. This hat is for my friend's newborn baby boy and so I decided to add her little boy's name into the inside hem and bit of fair isle to the body of the hat. The hem is basted into the hat--it's nice and elastic but the interior looks a little sloppy to me. Next time I plan to use Fibersnob's method of knitting a hem for a cleaner look.



(cross posted at my blog)

2 Comments:

  • And a darling little hat it is - lucky boy!

    By Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter, at 5:37 PM  

  • Thank you! I can't wait to see some photos of the hat on the little guy this winter :-)

    By Blogger S, at 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home