Zimmermania

Friday, October 20, 2006

Humbled

I was merrily knitting away at my Fishtrap Aran last night, chuffed that the pattern was making so much sense to me and that I'd completed the first repetition of the chart without even needing to look at the book. Then I realized the middle of the fishtrap didn't look quite right. I got out the chart. Oops. I was making diamonds in the middle instead of trees. It looked fine, but it wasn't exactly a Fishtrap Aran any more. So I frogged half of it. Ah well, the silver lining is that I got to make the husband wear it like a cummerbund to check the fit, since it was coming off the needle anyway. (The light is terrible in our house at night, so no pictures of that, unfortunately.) And it fits just as he wanted. It's good to get knocked down a peg or two now and then - wouldn't want to get cocky about the knitting. Onward, with greater humility!

4 Comments:

  • eh, diamonds, trees... you might have created your own stitch pattern! nonetheless, it's nice that you got a fitting out of it :)

    By Blogger jess, at 9:04 PM  

  • Fishtrap cummerbund. Hmm, that starts the mind a whirring with possibilities!

    By Blogger Glaistig, at 1:58 PM  

  • I had a similar humbling experience with my third pair of "Fetching". I decided to put an extra row of K4P1 above the last cable round, and I ran out of yarn on the mate, halfway through the binding-off and *before* inserting the thumb.

    I don't know what I was thinking; I'd just mailed off a pair to my sister for her birthday, tieing her package with the scant yarn of yarn leftover from *her* pair.

    Thankfully, I'd bought three balls of Cashmerino Aran, so Giftee #3 will get a pair that's one round short in the middle section.

    I'll post the whole silly tale, with pictures of the "short-sheeted" pair, after my sister's birthday later this week.

    By Blogger Lynn, at 7:11 AM  

  • Oh, no. Ripping is certainly humbling, I know all too well. Too bad we missed the pic of the cumberbund, that would have been, er, interesting.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home