Zimmermania

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Hem Questions

I'm working on a seamless yoke sweater from KWT. I still have a bunch more rows until I really need to worry about the hem, but I thought I'd ask now. I'm using Kraemer's Tatamy Tweed. It's 45% cotton & 55% acrylic. Obviously, the hem in its current state is rolling. She describes how to add a hem (pgs. 34-36), but has anyone done it? Does it pull in enough to stop the rolling? Will the cotton blend make a difference with the hem's end result? I'm trusting in her plan, but I'd like a little reassurance from you guys.

Lola

2 Comments:

  • I'm in the process of doing a seamless saddle shoulder. Just finished my hem seamlessly like BrooklynTweed, too. I also cast on full amount of stitches on needles two sizes smaller. I did a provisional crochet cast on. I love the way it works. It's like magic. I did have trouble the first time I tried to join the hem. Be very careful your stitches line up, mine didn't and I had to rip it out. Also, the way I picked up off the provisonal cast on made my stitches off by one half stitch. I've never done this before so maybe that's normal. It worked out fine and there is no pull on the hem. I'm also putting one purl at each side instead of doing the drop and pick up side hem EZ describes.
    This is my first sweater so I'm really learning alot.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 AM  

  • I've done several hems, I've decreased for them, and I've used lighter yarn, and I've used smaller needles. Every one has come out great, and most *definitely* lies flat (the only way I can imagine it wouldn't is if you did a really, really short hem, like less than an inch. And even that wouldn't curl much).

    Oh, and by the way...picking up from a provisional cast-on always does leave you off by one half stitch. Look at it while it's still on the waste yarn sometime - the loops on the waste yarn are actually the loops *between* the ones on the needles. That's why they're all shifted over one half-stitch. It's invisible in stockinette except at the round-join, and even that's a very minor irregularity. I wouldn't recommend doing it in the middle of a fair isle patterned row, though - trust me, I've done it. :-)

    By Blogger Kate A., at 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home