Zimmermania

Saturday, October 07, 2006

EZ's Phoney Seams

Still chugging faithfully away on my bog jacket--though I did reach the milestone of the underarms, and thus I give you:
Phoney Seams.
I wasn't sure if this technique was necessary, and discussed it with my knitting friends with only dubious results--is it an aesthetic technique, or does it help to hold shape? What is it really for? But I decided to go for it, in the spirit of trying out all of the modifications EZ has outlined in her instructions. And I like it! It runs from underarm to the bottom edge, neatly folding the garment (the photo shows the right side of the work) and it has a very cute, tailored look to it. Hooray for Phoney Seams! I'm glad I tried it.

6 Comments:

  • now you can revel in being phoney! ;)

    just kidding, folks, yarnmonster jess is very genuine, even if her seams are not.

    seriously, i saw this in person yesterday and it looks kind of amazing.

    By Blogger jess, at 12:42 PM  

  • i didn't see the point myself, but seeing it completed it looks really nice.

    By Blogger Marnie, at 5:46 PM  

  • Ohhh....well, I decided to try some too and I think mine are even more pointless as I've been hooking up on the right side. I'm knitting alpaca in a rather loose gauge and thought that was why I couldn't see much.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:12 AM  

  • Glad you like it, Jess F&P. I am a new fan of the Phoney Seam--count me as converted.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:40 AM  

  • EZ invented the phoney seams to appease the editors of Vogue knitting, who insisted that her sweater patterns have side seams.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:18 PM  

  • Are you to do it so that if the right side is knitted, it shows a purl? And if right side is purled it shows as knitted? It seems people are divided on this. What did EZ say about it? I have ALL her books, but they're packed as we just moved and I can't remember to save my life! I know how it's done, but I just can't remember if it's to be done opposite or in the same way... :-S

    Help!!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home