Zimmermania

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Norwegian Mitts

Norwegian Mittens 001


Mittens! They're not finished, but I'm posting them now because I ran out of yarn and who knows how long it will take for the emergency provisions to arrive. These are EZ's Norwegian Mittens, from Knitters Almanac in Knitpicks Telemark. They do not stray far from her pithy instructions and chart, as I was just looking for something mindless as entertainment on the plane and during the wedding rehearsal. My colorwork is rusty, so this is a good refresher.

The queer thing about mittens (also booties, in my experience): my gauge ALWAYS changes significantly between the first and second mitt. I usually end up knitting three mitts and frogging the first, and #s 2 and 3 always match. There are other little differences between mitt 1 and mitt 2 I'll fill you in on in my FO report, but let's just say that in the spirit of EZ, there will be no pair exactly like this one!

Okay, thanks for the pâté, but I gotta motor if I'm going to make it to that job on time! (sorry for the hurried post!)

6 Comments:

  • How do you like the Telemark for Fair Isle? Is is very thick? I was thinking of using it for a hat, but I don't want it to be too bulky.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:41 AM  

  • I love the colours you chose, very nice work! I have the same problem with fair isle mitts and socks, next time I'll be sure to knit a third, great advice. Can't wait to see these when they're done.

    By Blogger fibersnob, at 11:26 AM  

  • They are beautiful even in their unfinished state. I love the colors you've chosen.

    By Blogger Monika, at 1:31 PM  

  • Glad you like them! Telemark: it's really fine. For the money it's great - bare bones and basic. The best thing about Telemark is the colors. Very primo - rich and unique, especially compared to most Knitpicks colors which I find very blah.

    Thickness wise, it's a little hefty, but not inordinately so for mittens. It's slightly heavier than Dale Baby Ull, and rougher. And it's not superwash. But I often can't find Baby Ull in interesting colors, and plus, it's pricier than Telemark.

    By Blogger jess, at 8:23 PM  

  • Lovely mitts! If I make them, I'll have to mirror the cuff chart so I can get S shapes. :) I love the red and white - it just shouts winter cheer.

    By Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter, at 10:59 AM  

  • Thanks for the review.

    I forgot to say earlier, the mittens are beautiful. I did those a while ago and mine didn't come out so even. Very nice.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home