Zimmermania

Friday, March 30, 2007

EPS, or YPS

There have been a lot of questions here lately about what percentages to use for sleeves in the EPS system. I really like some of the EZ sweater constructions, and I have made a few of the sweaters (one of them is blocking right now- I'll post a picture sometime soon), but I use my own measurements (or percentages). I would like to suggest that no two people are exactly the same size, and everyone prefers a different fit in their sweaters. Therefore, to make a sweater that fits YOU perfectly, use your percentage system, or YPS. I suggest using a sweater that, in your opinion, fits YOU perfectly to make three measurements. The body, the cuff, and the upper arm. We'll call your body measurement B, your cuff measurement C, and your upper arm measurement U. Measure carefully, and write down your three measurements:

B__________


C__________


U__________

Now pull out your calculator, and make these two calculations:

C/B * 100 = the percentage of stitches that you should have at the cuff of your sweater

U/B * 100 = the percentage of stitches that you should have at the upper arm of your sweater.

Example (numbers are totally made up):

Your sweater's cuffs are 9 inches around (C=9)
Your sweater's upper arm is 20 inches around (U=20)
Your sweater's body is 36 inches around (B=36)

C/B *100 = 9/36 * 100 = 25%
U/B *100 = 20/36 *100 = 55.6%

Use these percentages in EZ's sweater patterns to get a sweater that fits the way you want it to fit.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • That is great. I am going to pencil that into my book. Thank you.
    Punkin in Oregon

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:01 AM  

  • You're a genius. I'll save this information for another day that will come sooner because of it. (Hope that makes sense.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:40 AM  

  • Thanks, Emily. EZ is delighted!!! You are a knitter after her own heart. I believe you will find affirmation on pg 16 of Meg's "Knitting". Not only does she speak of EPS and today; but she gives a sketch with percentages which reflect today's tastes.

    She closes with "Depending on the style of farment, these GUIDELINES (Upper case is mine) maybe honed by your personal preferences and the size and shape idiosyncrasies of the recipient."
    peace to all, Elizabeth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:56 PM  

  • Thank you for this!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:03 PM  

  • Good one! Wish I had this at the start of my sweater, I followed the sleeves as written for the Saddle Yoked sweater and they came out a bit too tight in the upper arm area.

    By Blogger Christa, at 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home