Zimmermania

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

A Question about Yardage

Hello everyone! I have been signed up for this KAL since it began but am only just getting around to knitting something for it. I've started my very first Baby Surprise Jacket, for the offspring of my cousin and his wife (due in May, gender unknown). I'm using JoAnn Fabrics' Sensations Tesoro (100% wool) in a lovely seafoam green shade that, to my mind, is pretty gender neutral. Here's how far I've gotten (and I must add that the color has been completely washed out by my camera):


As you can see, I'm quickly approaching the end of my first skein of yarn, with three remaining. My question for all you experienced BSJ knitters is how much yarn I will need. I am knitting at a gauge of 6 stitches to the inch on US 5 (3.75 mm) needles and have completed nine decreases so far. Each skein of this yarn is 87 yards/80 meters. I have some other yarn on hand that would work well for stripes, if needed. Do those of you who have knit a BSJ have an idea of your yardage for the sweaters you've completed?

Your help is much appreciated!

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • Do a couple stripes - I don't think that is enough yardage. You will so enjoy this knit!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:57 PM  

  • Hi!
    I've made 3 of those great little jackets, and I have averaged about 300 yards per jacket. I did mine at about 6 st/inch, but I would think that the yardage would be about the same.
    Enjoy!
    Leah

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:58 PM  

  • i used around 4 skeins with that yardage for a bsj but on larger needles. the tension was more like 16 to 4.

    By Blogger knititch, at 11:49 PM  

  • I used one bundle of 100g of yarn for my first BSJ, which had a running length of around 300m.
    Judging by the one I'm knitting at the moment, I seem to be using around that much again. Good luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:51 AM  

  • I used almost three balls of Patons SWS, a 'worsted' weight wool. Size seven needles which made a heavy sweater.
    I used the remainder of the 3d ball and most of a 4th to knit a heart hat, also on size 7. The two pieces look like they will fit the same child'

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:32 AM  

  • I have made many of these sweaters and find that it usually takes 300-400 yards of yarn. They are fun little sweaters to knit!

    By Blogger Denise, at 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home