Zimmermania

Saturday, March 24, 2007

EZ's seamless sweater finishing

I don't know about you, guys, but EZ's percentage system just doesn't work for me. As I understand, the neck shouldn't stand up. I did everything as she wrote: decreased to 40% of total body stitches (108 sts)(=44 sts), done back-of -neck shaping and ribbing for 1". Keep in mind that the yoke is even SHORTER than it should be (should be 1/4 of the circumference of the body, which is 36"=9" and my yoke is 8").It doesn't look good.


For this type of sweater the collar should LIE on the neck, not stand up. I want to rip it back to end of the yoke and do plain St st neck so the collar would curl outward from the body, without back-of-neck shaping. Any suggestions, comments?

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • What a great yoke pattern! I would treat the end of the yoke as collar, knit one ore two rows, purl one and knit a facing. Of course, I am not sure that it works. Good luck with your beautiful sweater!

    By Blogger Hilde, at 12:45 AM  

  • I had that problem with the first one I did, it ended up sort of like a mock turtleneck. I actually redid that collar 5 times before I was happy with it.

    I learned that I need to check my yoke every inch as I get towards the top to make sure I start the collar early enough.

    You just have to figure out what works for your neckline shape.

    The sweater is gorgeous!

    By Blogger Rachael, at 7:04 AM  

  • just wanted to say the % system is a great jumping off point, but i found for my sweater (knit for the husband) i tweaked the numbers, fitting it to the recipient. one gauge is established it seems important to try/model the piece, if able, to get the personal fit one desires.btw: the sweater looks lovely, luck on the adjustments

    By Blogger mames, at 10:08 AM  

  • That is a beautiful yoke. My own feeling is that EZ intended the EPS as a tool for us to start with, and that she'd absolutely want for you to rip back and figure out how to customize this sweater to your particular body. None of us is the same shape, after all! I have a suspicion that row gauge may be your foe here, too. A sneaky way to get around this might be to go down a needle size as you reach the upper part of the yoke - it won't disturb the pattern, but you'll end up with less fabric and the pattern won't be crawling up your neck.

    By Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter, at 10:55 AM  

  • i had that difficulty when i made my first sweater, but then again, i was using much smaller needles and yarn (regular WW and size 7), but i continued to measure and measure and measure...and by the end of the sweater, i ended up not completing it as was said in the book ("Knitting Around") but to the dimensions of the recipient...the yoke, itself, will shape to the wearer and your decreases (though not always fitting every person the same way -- as the percentage system seems to point out) should follow suit

    By Blogger rjcb3, at 6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home