Zimmermania

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

a Tomten tale


Finally, I have a current FO to share with you all after lurking on this great collective blog for months. Here is a Tomten jacket I have just finished for the next "afghans For Afghans" drive. This is my second Tomten and just as much fun to knit as the first one. I used 2 1/2 skeins of Cascade 220 in a heathered green and a few yards of Plymouth Galway for the stripes. I made a few modifications to the modular construction. When I reached the armholes, I bound off 4 fewer stitches for each sleeve, adding 2 stitches to each front and 4 stitches to the back. I also ended the body a couple of ridges earlier than what the pattern calls for, resulting in slightly less wide sleeves.

With the help of a quick refresher from the wonderful Knitting Glossary DVD, I finished with applied i-cord, incorporating buttonholes as I went. I think this should fit a two-year old, although I haven't been spending much time with two-year-olds recently! I just might try knitting my next Tomten in a dk yarn to end up with more of a baby size. I posted a few more details on my blog, along with photos of older EZ knits in the albums.

3 Comments:

  • Your tomten is very sweet! I love the red accents. I'm doing my first tomten in a worsted wt. (Lamb's Pride and some small farm Targhee) and it seems to be working out to about a 2 also.

    By Blogger Renee, at 5:31 AM  

  • Very nice! I see a warm little girl or boy in this sweet sweater; being cuddled by the grateful Mom :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:55 AM  

  • oh yes a little hooded face of an afghan child is easy to see. it is the cutest jacket in the world in my opinion and there are as many variations as knitters.

    By Blogger knititch, at 1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home