Zimmermania

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Opinionated Knitter - too many ideas!!

i'm plugging away at my Seamless Hybrid while in the midst of a zillion other projects. It's going well, but it's a sweater in the round in stockinette. Not much to report. In the meantime, I got my copy of the Opinionated Knitter from Schoolhouse Press today.

*sigh*

far far far too many things I want to make.

I'm thinking this: I have a lot of Rowan Chunky in a color i don't love that I got on eBay for a song. I keep starting projects with it and tearing them out again. It's a very bulky yarn, so it has to be the right project. And I don't love the color. So I have to LOVE the project.

So I think it needs to become a Tomten for me. I have some contrasting yarn that will make a great button band (I'm thinking to do something like the wide plackets from the Aran coat on page 33 so I have some growing room with those buttons). I'm going to be needing a wintery jacket since I'm pregnant, won't fit into the coats I have, and will be overheated most of the time anyway. I won't need more than a knitted coat except on the most ridiculously cold days, and then i can throw a poncho over it. I'm thinking to make an enormous one to get me through this year and then order some Sheepsdown from the Schoolhouse Press site to make a better fitting one (maybe some waist shaping? When I have a waist again?) for next year and the rest of my life.

I know this is a whole post about nothing but I am so excited about this book, and all of the possibilities that lie within it, and I figured fellow Zimmermaniacs were just the people to turn to so I can prattle on and on.

4 Comments:

  • We are, indeed, just the right people for this. Hmm. So, I'm thinking, is a grownup tomten jacket exactly the right thing for *my* chunky yarn in a non-favorite color that I got really really on sale?? I'm not pregnant, so I'd go for the waist shaping. Do be sure to post about it when you get started - I'll be watching for it!

    By Blogger Kate A., at 3:33 PM  

  • Oh, yes, isn't it a fabulous book, though! And Meg's photography is so wonderful! As soon as I got it I immediately read through it and then cried, it touched me so.

    By Anonymous Nancy J, at 3:48 PM  

  • Hi all, Jess and Sarah,

    I just got my copy of "The Opinionated Knitter" in the mail today. Wow. I am overwhelmed!! I want to knit every design. But first, I want to start with the Fishtrap sweater. Is this pattern printed anywhere else besides as the "pithy directions" in "Knitter's Almanac" ??? Do you have any suggestions about starting this sweater? I could use all the help you can provide if you have already knit this sweater.

    Thanks,
    Kim Dravenstott in Ohio

    By Blogger Kim Dravenstott, at 4:51 PM  

  • Yes kate, it IS just the right thing for your chunky yarn in a non-favorite color that you got really on sale. you try it, you test it, if you fall in love with wearing it you either dye it or make a new one in a color you do love. I think the waist shaping would be a piece of cake.

    I love the look of it even boxy, though. i got 3.75/in on 10.5s, and going up any higher made a fabric i don't love. so i'm going to do that math thing to get it to work.

    it's now TORTURE to finish my husband's sweater!

    By Blogger curlypurly, at 6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home