Zimmermania

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Opinionated Knitter - too many ideas!!

i'm plugging away at my Seamless Hybrid while in the midst of a zillion other projects. It's going well, but it's a sweater in the round in stockinette. Not much to report. In the meantime, I got my copy of the Opinionated Knitter from Schoolhouse Press today.

*sigh*

far far far too many things I want to make.

I'm thinking this: I have a lot of Rowan Chunky in a color i don't love that I got on eBay for a song. I keep starting projects with it and tearing them out again. It's a very bulky yarn, so it has to be the right project. And I don't love the color. So I have to LOVE the project.

So I think it needs to become a Tomten for me. I have some contrasting yarn that will make a great button band (I'm thinking to do something like the wide plackets from the Aran coat on page 33 so I have some growing room with those buttons). I'm going to be needing a wintery jacket since I'm pregnant, won't fit into the coats I have, and will be overheated most of the time anyway. I won't need more than a knitted coat except on the most ridiculously cold days, and then i can throw a poncho over it. I'm thinking to make an enormous one to get me through this year and then order some Sheepsdown from the Schoolhouse Press site to make a better fitting one (maybe some waist shaping? When I have a waist again?) for next year and the rest of my life.

I know this is a whole post about nothing but I am so excited about this book, and all of the possibilities that lie within it, and I figured fellow Zimmermaniacs were just the people to turn to so I can prattle on and on.

3 Comments:

  • We are, indeed, just the right people for this. Hmm. So, I'm thinking, is a grownup tomten jacket exactly the right thing for *my* chunky yarn in a non-favorite color that I got really really on sale?? I'm not pregnant, so I'd go for the waist shaping. Do be sure to post about it when you get started - I'll be watching for it!

    By Blogger Kate A., at 3:33 PM  

  • Oh, yes, isn't it a fabulous book, though! And Meg's photography is so wonderful! As soon as I got it I immediately read through it and then cried, it touched me so.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:48 PM  

  • Yes kate, it IS just the right thing for your chunky yarn in a non-favorite color that you got really on sale. you try it, you test it, if you fall in love with wearing it you either dye it or make a new one in a color you do love. I think the waist shaping would be a piece of cake.

    I love the look of it even boxy, though. i got 3.75/in on 10.5s, and going up any higher made a fabric i don't love. so i'm going to do that math thing to get it to work.

    it's now TORTURE to finish my husband's sweater!

    By Blogger Marnie, at 6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home