Zimmermania

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

late to the party

Hello, I'm Morgen. How stoked am I to join a knitalong in honor of Elizabeth Zimmermann! Truly, I never would have ventured into fancy things like aran patterns or two-color knitting (let alone designing) if she didn't gleefully make it look so damn easy, and I know more than a few of you are in the same boat. To date (relevant to EZ) I've done some two-color hats and twisted stitch patterns, and am in the midst of a cable-pattern cardigan of my own design which will feature steeked armholes and fronts (see my brand-new knitting blog.)

But today, in the spirit of fall weather and trying new things, I will be starting my very first pair of socks. Inspiration:



The pattern is from Newsletter #18, reprinted in The Opinionated Knitter.
I have been eyeballing these stockings for some time. Originally I planned to go with one of EZ's vertical two-color charts, but at the last minute I realized this would be a great utilization of a pseudo-argyle-plaid pattern (maybe you know the proper name for it?) that I snatched from some mid-80's Rowan design.

Swatched in the round and cut up the side:



It's Nature Spun sportweight in plumberry and ash on US 4 dpns, at about 7 sts 8 rows/inch. Tons o fun!

For now, back to the knitting cave to measure and plot. Till you hear from me again I will be, as EZ quips, "stocking up on stockings." xo

2 Comments:

  • Oooh, those are going to look great! Been seeing a lot of long socks lately. I'm just about to embark on some too. I may need to get that WG or the book.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:09 AM  

  • You are making the socks I wish I was making, Miss Morgen!
    If it weren't for all those darn pregnant ladies in my life...
    I'm glad I can live vicariously through you.
    molly

    By Blogger Molly, at 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home