Zimmermania

Monday, January 26, 2009

Fair Isle-ish Baby Suprise


The BSJ is a wonderful canvas for using up small bits and oddments of color. My goal is to use up my stash but I cannot bear to throw out even the smallest yardage of yarn, so it's a slow process. When I want to knit a baby gift, I try to make it from machine washable/dryable yarns and from my stash, that means acrylic, as I don't have any machine washable wools or other blends. 

I Find knitting in garter stitch to be quite boring, so working with 2 colors in each row makes the knitting more interesting and serves to help use up all those bits and pieces. After this sweater was washed and dried, it softened up quite a bit and no longer felt like cardboard, much to my relief. 

It's knit from worsted weight yarns or thinner yarns held together to approximate worsted weight on size 8 needles. The resulting size will fit a 1-year old and hopefully might fit into year 2. I added length to the sleeves and put on a healthy length of cuff. The shoulder seam is knitted together with I-cord and the collar is picked up from the I-cord finish. The hat is knit using the same yarns as the sweater.

I really enjoy checking in on this website and seeing what everyone else is working on, it's always something fun!



12 Comments:

  • This is terrific! I've never seen a BSJ quite like yours.

    By Blogger Lauren, at 6:46 PM  

  • Just beautiful!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:05 PM  

  • Lovely colours! and the hat is great too.

    By Blogger Cybèle, at 12:57 AM  

  • I thought I had knitted my last BSJ but after seeing yours, I think I have to do at least one more!

    By Blogger Kathy, at 5:19 AM  

  • I love this. What gorgeous colours!

    By Blogger Tina - omme i London, at 4:07 PM  

  • How adorable!!

    By Blogger JakkiMitch, at 4:36 PM  

  • The sweater is adorable!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:25 PM  

  • Very cool! I once tried an actual Fair Isle BSJ. If you're on Ravelry, you can see it here http://www.ravelry.com/projects/tjstein/baby-surprise-jacket

    I did blog about it in progress here http://tjstein.livejournal.com/55464.html

    By Blogger Teri, at 9:30 AM  

  • Just BEAUTIFUL and so creative!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:35 PM  

  • This is really cute! And a great idea to use up your odds and ends. They all combine just perfectly together.

    By Blogger Annette, at 8:04 AM  

  • OMG--I LOVE that! It's so gorgeous. And it's a coincidence because lately I've been wondering if anybody ever did the jacket in something other than garter stitch. And I'm trying to get up the nerve to start one myself like that---I've got a whole bunch of Cascade 220 that would work. Thank you for the inspiration!!

    By Blogger Bo..., at 1:24 PM  

  • gorgeous jumper! love the colours

    By Blogger screamish, at 4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home