Zimmermania

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Rorschach debuts





Here's my Rorschach Jacket, ready for her close-up! This is, as far as Google and I can tell, the very first Elizabeth Zimmermann Rorschach Jacket to model live on the web. I hope it won’t be the last, because this excellent pattern deserves a renaissance. Specs:

Rorschach Jacket from Knitting Workshop

Unspun Icelandic wool from Schoolhouse Press, two strands held double, most of four 300 yd-wheels cream and most of one blacksheep

US #8 needles, 4 stitches per inch

I cast on the number of stitches given for the 40″ size, but stopped when I reached the body width for the 36″ size. In other words, I have a long torso and a medium bust and I wanted a slimmer, less boxy fit. After weighing the many opinions you offered about buttons, I went with the smaller, square-within-a-circle choice. And I’m happy with the effect. I did make some slight modifications to the sleeves, working them over 80 stitches (decreased over 10 ridges to 70 for a small gusset) instead of the suggested 1/3 of the total for a blousey look. Then I nipped them back to 38 stitches for a snug cuff. I can’t tell whether EZ’s version had full length sleeves, but I made mine 3/4 length. I also sewed the two halves together inside-out, intentionally creating a raised seam to emphasize the construction. It’s a pleasing detail, I think.

More pictures over at my blog.

9 Comments:

  • wow sarah. it is so chanel, so trendy and looks very becoming on you. and you chose the smaller buttons which is nice even though i voted for the bigger. i did regret it. it is lovely to see new z models here on the blog as much as i love the old ones. and it is unspun icelandic. this is what got me going with knitting when i was 13. lovely wool and very lasting. congrats sarah chanel :-))

    By Blogger knititch, at 1:17 AM  

  • a stunning jacket and congratulations on it's first web appearance! You model it well!

    By Blogger picperfic, at 3:13 AM  

  • Very wonderful! I'll be adding Knitting Workshop to my wishlist!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:36 AM  

  • Excellent! I'm thinking of knitting one of these at some point. Yours must be hot as blazes, though, with two strands of that icelandic!

    By Blogger ChiaLea, at 4:44 AM  

  • You GO!, girl

    By Blogger Su Su, at 7:57 AM  

  • Seeing the FO photos was nice. But it didn't compare with seeing the jacket on you. FABULOSO! I'm going over to your blog to see more.

    By Blogger carlita dee, at 10:18 AM  

  • Looks Great on you! Nice work.

    By Blogger Kivy, at 6:32 AM  

  • Looove it! Very pretty, very nice fit and looks like it will be worn a lot over a long time! Great. A classic.

    By Blogger Lara 900, at 2:39 AM  

  • i really like this. i don't think i could pull it off but i can think of someone on my giftlist that could

    By Blogger erin, at 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home