Zimmermania

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

First Twin Fishtrap

Last night I finished up the first twin’s birthday Fishtrap. I’m satisfied with how it turned out, but I can’t say I love it. I’m unhappy with the fuzziness of the yarn and how it blurred stitch definition. Harumph.

However, it is still a perfectly serviceable sweater. And I’m sure the recipient will never notice all the things I don’t like about it. And if he gets some good wear out of it, the time spent will not be in vain.

The idea came from the January Fishtrap sweater. This was sized down with EPS to fit a 4 year old and knit seamlessly. The shoulders are done with a combination of raglan and saddle shouder shaping. The back of the yoke follows normal raglan shaping. The front does too until the raglan lines met the Fishtrap pattern. I decided not to deal with the mental wrestling of chart-eating stitchs. When the raglan lines intersected the chart I started sleeve-eating decreases every round, as in a saddle shoulder sweater.

I think it worked out ok, but should have switched back to raglan shaping before the saddle shoulder shaping ate too much of the sleeve. As it is the Fishtrap design goes nearly to the center of the shoulder and you can see that the neck doesn’t lay too flat. Not ideal, but it should be fine when on the kid.

Now I’m going to relax and knit socks before I tackle the second [wiser, more experienced] Fishtrap.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • Well, even if you think that you've made some mistakes, I must say that I Love it! And so will the recipent, I'm sure!

    By Blogger miastick, at 10:33 PM  

  • Such qute mini cabled sweater!

    By Blogger Elena, at 11:55 PM  

  • it looks lovely to me...can't see any fuzziness!

    By Blogger picperfic, at 1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home